Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkeye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got 5 of these for my 55 gal, dealer told me these would be compatable with the barbs and tetras already in there. I am hoping to breed them, they are supposed to breed fairly easily. Does anyone have any experience with these guys. Never had cichlids before, so this is new to me.

Kribensis are fine with other fish... Until they begin to breed, they then become almost demonically aggressive, kribensis pair up so you only want 1 male and 1 female, the rest will be harassed by the dominant pair. The other fish will be fine if they are fast enough to get away, if not they'll probably be killed, I'd remove the other three kribs for sure though, especially if another pair gets started your looking at a massacre waiting to happen.

Thanks, sounds like my tank is about to get real interesting. My fish dealer told me he gave me 2 males and 3 females, or vice versa. Looking at them, and researching online, they look like all males. None of them have the red belly. Do you know how to tell for sure.

The dorsal fin on the males are longer than the females, like in gouramis and the males usually have spots on their tails. Let them pair off, maybe return the extra krib, and hope the two pairs wanna dominate opposite ends of ur tank...

Back
Top Bottom