Lab holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My yellow lab has been holding now for about 2 weeks and I was thinking about putting her in my hatchery until she spits to try and save the fry.
Is this a good idea?

Well I caught her and put her in the hatchery.But 20 mins later she jumped out.It took me 20 mins to catch her and I had to remove 15 large black rocks and 15 cichlid stones along with all the plants and bogwood.She's on her own lol

Yeah I don't want to stress her too much.
But while she was in the hatchery I got a good look in her mouth and I could see the eyes of the babies :D

aww! why not let her have them in her mouth for 3 more days then move her to the hatchery and strip her? xx

p.s i never just leave a cichlid in a hatchery. it has a weighted lid, a large shell or a clip-on barred lid to stop them jumping out! lol

Yea definitely try to keep as much stress as possible off her... I waited 22 days before i stripped the fry from mine, got at least 35... Hard to count those little active fry!

No you haven't but I did see your instructions on another post and it doesn't sound too difficult.It was so cool seeing the little fry eyes inside her mouth :)

i know!! dont do it too early, i lost 23 babies form over excitement. the adults didnt mind the snack though.
i love seeing the babies fall out its adorable, they are all like 'what where what huh?' lol!

Lol I'll try it next weekend along with my pwc as I remove all the plants,rocks,cichlid stones and wood so as to get at all the fish poo with my gravel vac.It took me nearly 2 hours in total!!!!

when i do the Big Daddy pwc, i do this AND majorly shake up the substrate cos so much gets trapped in the dense sand i have.
how did u get the cichlid stones?
and 2 hours, all dedicated to fish happiness. think of it that way :)

Lol yes I am dedicated and I shake the sand up too to try and get it all.My ammonia and nitrite levels are always 0 but I always have a little nitrate in there.
I got my cichlid stones from the states for $40 whatever that is in pounds but for some reason customs opened the parcel and it got sent to my local depot.I had to pay £22.50 to get it aggghhhhhhh.
There are 15 stones in the pack 2 large and the rest a mix of medium and small.

mm good deal! i need to find a store that does them, cos i like to pick them out personally for the special touch.
what about a full tank shot? so we can help u pick a good females colour ;)

There is a full tank shot in my profile pics but it's hard to get a decent one as I only have my I- phone and it's hard to get a close up in my room.I can only just get the whole tank in by getting right back against the wall lol

Back
Top Bottom