Labs breeding!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you could strip the eggs, but I've never done it and have no advice to give ya. I'm sure you could google it if ya wanted to know more.

I used a paperclip( un fold it once, like an s??) to use to hold the upper lip up while I gently put her in the water and rubbed her throat area to stimulate it....

Bl80 said:
I used a paperclip( un fold it once, like an s??) to use to hold the upper lip up while I gently put her in the water and rubbed her throat area to stimulate it....

I wouldn't trust myself not to hurt her. By using my fingernail I can feel how much pressure I'm putting on her mouth. But if it works for you great!

Yeaa well i have alot of time so i think i'll look it up maybe catch her nd let her spit in a bucket or something. If she even holds full turm

Side note: how big do labs have to be before breeding? Jw if mine are close or not. Not trying to hijack the thread tho, sorry. Lol

Its kay my lil female(holding) is about 1.5" or maybe lil left. So yea pretty small

I was kinda under the idea that they were smaller when they started to breed. Which is great, cause my females are right around 2". Thanks and best of luck!

Side note: how big do labs have to be before breeding? Jw if mine are close or not. Not trying to hijack the thread tho, sorry. Lol

My lab Lemon Drop was about 1 1/2" and Butter was holding when I got her (didn't know it though) and she was about 2". So yeah, compared to other females, they're on the smaller size when they start breeding.

Good luck to you both! It's so exciting when they're holding!!

Yes i know i love to watch her and see her juggle the eggs in her jaw!

Yes i know i love to watch her and see her juggle the eggs in her jaw!

I know!! I've got a cool pic of Juicy when she was holding...lemme see if I can find it and I'll post it for ya :-D hmm it seems I don't know how to put a picture into the post :-(

Ok, let's see if this works...here's Juicy holding her first batch of eggs (she held 46 her first time!) Doesn't she just look miserable!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1895.jpg
    DSCF1895.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 105
It is pretty cool to watch, especially as the fry develope. Once their yolk sack is absorbed the female will start grabbing small amounts of food for them and they just go wild in her mouth. Another option for the eggs is to get an egg tumbler, look online on aquabid, you just hook them to an adjustable valve connected to an air pump then you can actually watch the eggs hatch and develope.

Thanks! She is a purdy girl, but talk about feisty!! The only fish in the tank she doesn't get after is Skittles. She's learned that I'm gonna strip her so she won't hold eggs anymore lol but it's all good.

Back
Top Bottom