Lake Victorian cichlid care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do they need a tank like mbuas? Should they stay with only other Victoria cichlids? how aggressive are they? Do they require high ph? I just want to know if i could stick them in a tropical tank at all? And if not how do you care for them?

Sorry for all the questions but i cannot seem to find much info on them. So since i can't i turn to you guys. So any care info would help. Thanks in advance guys.

Yeah, they prefer alot of the same. Lake victoria is also a rift lake in africa, so alot of the conditions are the same. If youre having trouble finding info, you may have more luck looking for mbipi. As far as aggression, i wouldnt even try to put them with any tropical fish. From what ive read, their temperment is about that of mbuna, not a very nice one for other fish lol.

Thanks, when i say i can't find ANY info on them i mean NO info. Thanks i will try again on the research.

What kind of Vics do you have, I have mbipi, ruby greens and fulus? They like a ph of 7.8 to 8.2 lots of hiding places. Omnivores, but need more veggie than meat. To much meat can cause bloat. Most will hybridize with other vics. Most are on a species protection program.

I don't have any of them. I have a 75g that i am trying to figure out what to do with. I was thinking about doing a lake Victoria tank because mbua are too popular and i am looking for something a little different if i go this wrought. Besides i like the look of them. So my next question how many can i fit in this size tank? If i do this i want to do the 1 male with 3 or 4 females if that is possible. So i need all the help i can get.

I am just exploring what to do with the tank. I so far am choosing between these 3 options:
#1- Lake Victorian Cichlid tank
#2-Planted Community Tank
#3-A large fish community tank (a tank with fish that are peacful but eat fish that are able to fit in there mouth).

Since I keep 3 different types, I keep them separate so they don't hybridize. In the Ruby green tank which is a 55 I have 15, In the mbipi tank which is a 90 there is mbipi, and afras, I couldn't tell you how many are in it. The fulu tank which is a 50 with fry there is probably close to 75 in it. But it won't stay that cramped once I sell off the fry. Adults probably about 10.

Since I got them for breeding purposes I started out with 2 males to 8 -10 females. The males can be territorial so you want to make sure you set up territories for each male.

Man, i want a whole bunch of them, maybe 2 different kinds. I guess i don't care if they would hybridize. I just think the males of the Victorians are just stunning.

Back
Top Bottom