Large bump at base of tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluBlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Large bump at base of my daughter's Tetra GloFish. He's eating, active and acting normal otherwise.

20 Gallon Tank. Water parameters all ok. 5 Tetra, and 5 Danios, 1 Bristlenose Pleco... no one else is looking or acting different.

Three questions: What do you think it is? What should I do in terms of meds or changes to aquarium etc? and should I move him to a hospital tank?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.00 PM.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.10 PM.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.54.19 PM.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 477
It seems like a tumor, but I can't really see it. Is there a hole, any worm like things in or around the bump?

There isn't really anything I know of if it is a tumor. If he dies, get his body out asap, just in case there is any parasites, and it wasn't just a tumor.

Keeping the water conditions ideal so the fish have as little stress as possible.

Separating him would make him stressed. If he is okay I would leave him. But if he seems to be doing poorly at some future point, euthanizing him would be a possibility, or separating him away. If he dies, for me, I would not want the body in the tank.

Update but also seeking more advice after a few weeks...

The lump seemed to get larger for a few weeks and then went away completely. Similar to a pimple. He also seemed to stop looking so skinny once the lump was gone. I was hopeful. But now... Overall... the fish today looks like it’s blind. It doesn’t seem to know where it’s going. I haven’t see it eat in a few days. Also it’s now developing some sort of fin rot on its tail. It just looks sick and I feel horrible. When it just had the lump it never looked ill.

I’m not sure what to do..
.a) medicate the whole tank
B) remove the fish and medicate it in a hospital tank
C) euthanize the fish
D) let it die in its own
E) other

Any advice very greatly appreciated

update.. also should I give my fish garlic? I keep seeing that online?

Now the heartbreak! It was for sure that it was time for him to be put out of his misery. I ordered clove oil, but before it arrived, ultimately needed to do something sooner and had to go with the ice water method... More heart break. I then had two others die quite suddenly (of course causing alarm), as well as my Betta jumping out of his tank (quite impossible but somehow he managed).

For the tank with the sick (now dead) fish.. I did get "lifeguard" recommended from my specialty store... (im in Canada and can't get a lot of the typically recommended meds.) This is why I ask about the garlic... anything else I can do?

The only good news (in my other thank) is I have 5 new molly babies today and found a danio I thought was dead in my filter... what? (this is in a different tank than the sick ones...so no cross contamination).

Holy moly who knew getting my kid 3 fish would spiral into this obsession/emotional roller coaster.

Wow, this is a nightmare roller coaster time. I am sorry to hear about the fish illness. Might be good to use some bleach water and sanitize all the nets and any water changing tubes, etc., anything which might touch.

Also I will give you hope and encouragement, that it can be just awful when hell hits, but very often it is a pleasant and enjoyable time living in peace with healthy tanks. So stay strong.

Try and keep perspective. Do the best you can with learning the best practices for the tanks and being able to use what you can get for treatment where you are. You can just do the best you can!

Garlic for sure, and vitamin C are recommended by a couple people I have learned to help treat fish. The vitamin C is odd but makes sense.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/164/?aid=164

There are additives for this, but also feeding vitamin rich foods should be good.

You can squeeze garlic cloves liquid onto the fish foods. Since it is so strong, think eating raw garlic, maybe start with just a little bit and then they should get used to it over time.

You could also try giving some minced fresh garlic in a spoon of water a quick simmer on the stove, basically just heat through, cool and serve.

Can try with some veggies maybe too. Remove uneaten foods in 8-12 hours, depending on the size and how fast it can turn bad. A turkey baster (just for fish) is a good tool for bits of garlic that's uneaten.

Back
Top Bottom