Large fish for 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been thinking instead of a huge community tank, I may get just one or a few large fish for this 55 gallon. Does anybody have any ideas of large fish that are easy to care for for a 55 gallon?

A nice syntodontis cat like an angelicus or a featherfin and a school of Denison's barbs.

Aquaman23 said:
I just did a little bit of looking at discus fish. How big do they get? How large of a tank do I need for a few? Do they need to school?

You could keep roughly 4 or so of them. People say they are hard to keep. I don't know first hand as I have never kept.

There are also a lot of other cool SA/CA cichlids you can keep in a 55. Jack Dempsey, convicts, fire mouths, just to name a few of the more common ones that can be housed for life in a 55g.

Discus can be hard to acclimate if they are wild caught. The cheapest specemins would cost 50 dollars. They get to be about 5 or 6 inches.

The discus are awesome, but a little too pricey for me. Do the cichlids get to be around 5-6 inches? I want a few fish that are larger in size but still impessive looking.

Also, I thought cichlids couldn't be kept with each other?

Leopard Ctenopoma! - Leopard Ctenopoma

Mono Sebae are pretty rad looking but could pose some challenges, they are brackish but I read when they are smaller apparently they can be kept in freshwater but as they grow they need to have their water gradually changed to a higher salinity.

Of course their are angels.

Larger gourami?

There are lots of sizes for cichlids. The dwarf varieties like the bolivian ram get to be about 3 inches but there are lots of other types that are around 6" too. Then there are the big suckers that can get a foot. lol.

Back
Top Bottom