Lazy Oto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dangerismymiddlename

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again,
Recently our 29 gallon planted tank has been going through an algae bloom. The stuff is literally everywhere in the tank. To combat this outbreak, we have been performing water changes to keep the nitrates down and feeding less. Last weekend we reached the point where we decided to bring in an "algae eater" to help with the cleanup. We picked an otocinclus because we read about how they tirelessly clean the tank and are a good community fish.

Well it has been a week and I have been the only one to clean any algae from the tank. The oto just lays around all the time and swims up and down the walls when he does move (not cleaning them at all). Is this guy just a lazy oto? Has anyone else run into similar problems?

And lastly, how can I rid myself of this algae?

Btw, my parameters are good (ammo 0, nitrItes 0, nitrates 10, ph 7.6). I use sera florena fertilizer (less than half a dose).

Thank you all!

Otos are really hit and miss on a lot of algae. They are ravenous for diatoms and green dust, but others can be ignored. What is your lighting type & duration? Amano shrimp, BN plecos, and nerite snails are much more efficient general grazers and a better choice if you go with a critter IMO. Better to solve the imbalance though.

Yeah the guy at the lfs recommended aa bristlenose pleco over an oto but I guess i'm just stubborn. I have a full plastic hood with a 24 inch 60 watt florescent bulb. Just the standard stuff that came in the box. I leave the lights on from 7am to 10pm everyday.

What is causing the algae to be growing everywhere?

My guess is the duration of light. If you cut it back to 8-10 hours a day, you should see some improvement. A day or two of blackout would probably get the fix started on the right foot. Amount of food can also contribute. Whether eaten or not, more food equals more nutrients in the water.

Just as a thought, one reason your oto might not be doing the work is because he's lonely. Everywhere I've read says that they do best and are most lively in groups of 3 or more. Can your stocking hold two more?

Just as a thought, one reason your oto might not be doing the work is because he's lonely. Everywhere I've read says that they do best and are most lively in groups of 3 or more. Can your stocking hold two more?

I suppose I can, but according to AqAdvisor I am at like a 96% stocking level. I have heard though that AqAdvisor is fairly conservative. Do you guys think I could add another oto or two? My current stocking is in my signature.

As long as you don't put any more fish in, I don't think 2 more otos would hurt. =] But that's just a personal opinion; you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. Otos don't get big though.

Possibly. But remember, you already have your oto. Unless you can take it back?

Also, the adult size of the bristlenose is 4-5 inches, so just by itself it would take up almost the same amount of room as 2-3 otos.

A bristlenose will have a much larger bioload than a couple more otos. I think you'd be fine. Aqadvisor is a fun thing to play with, but should not be taken as the end all, be all of stocking ;)

Touche. I guess I have an excuse to get more fish then :)

One other question: I have been using sera florena for fertilizer in my tank and I only dose about half the recommended. Would this possobly be a cause of the algae?

okay I am kinda confused now. The website I read about algae states that blue green algae is actually not an algae at all but rather a bacteria. This bacteria also has an earthy smell (which ours does). Do ottos eat this stuff or is there another way to treat it?

Less light and less food. Adding animals to deal with an imbalance usually just complicates things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom