learned why they call it fire coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been keeping reefs for about a decade now. I have been scuba diving since I was 5. I have never touched a fire coral before. Now, while applying Joes Juice, I brushed the back of my forearm against my fire coral. I felt like I put my hand in a burning fire. I cannot describe how bad it is. Compared to jellfish stings, and large polycheate stings, this was by far the worst. Beautiful coral, but DO NOT touch it. Just thought I would help you all profit from my stupidity.

Andrej

I have a red blotch on my skin about the size of a silver dollar. I would still recomend people to get them, just not use joes juice when tiered.

Andrej

Ouch! My arm just hurts thinking anout it. Any chance of posting a pic of the damage?

Yea, Ill take the pic off the coral right now. The damage was a large red mark, but it went away. I have been working with these things for a long time, I have lamost developed an immunity. It hurts and goes away quickly.

Andrej

well, I am ashamed to say, I am a total Idiot. IT got me again. This time I have a pic for yall. It has gotten worse sense, but I assure you, IT BURNS.

Andrej

Attachments

• dscn1197.jpg
    dscn1197.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 220
Here is one of the fire coral. i cant get it to look gorgeous because of the file size restricions, but the lighter tips and the "hairy " appearance are a dead give away. Its VERY pretty and very hardy. I would recomend it to any reefer, I just wouldnt recomend touching it.

Andrej

Attachments

• dscn1199.jpg
    dscn1199.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 155
I'm truely sorry. I hope you didn't get that as a result of us asking for pics.

I must point out the irony that your wound is in the shape of an excalmation point.

Actually, I didnt even notice that. That is absolutely hillarious!!! Ironically enough i just used exclamations points. And do not worry. It happened as a result of me feeding Cyclop eeze.

WOW! 8O Seriously...you did not have to do that on my account. :wink:
Thanks for the pics!

Its a 120 gallon tank, with 90 # of lr and 150 # of live sand/dead sand that was seeded. The corals are way too numerous to mention, but most I frag and sell. The fish include 3 purple tangs, one mimic tang, one yellow eye tang, one sailfin tang, one maroon clown, 1 sleeper banded goby, a maiting pair of mandarins, a chalk bass, and a maiting pair of twinspot gobies. All of this is filtered by a 40 gallon sump, and two 6 inch diameter skimmers designed to handle a 500 gallon aquarium each. The bulk of the motion is provided by 2 tunze streams run on independant wavetimers. Oh yea, I also have a pistol shrimp. I love this tank. Amongst all of mine, it is my baby.

Andrej

Just an update for all of those concerned. The red mark has gone away, and all that is left is gentle pain to the touch. Working with these as long as I have, I forget why they are called cniderians.

Andrej

ReefGuru said:
Its a 120 gallon tank, with 90 # of lr and 150 # of live sand/dead sand that was seeded. The corals are way too numerous to mention, but most I frag and sell. The fish include 3 purple tangs, one mimic tang, one yellow eye tang, one sailfin tang, one maroon clown, 1 sleeper banded goby, a maiting pair of mandarins, a chalk bass, and a maiting pair of twinspot gobies. All of this is filtered by a 40 gallon sump, and two 6 inch diameter skimmers designed to handle a 500 gallon aquarium each. The bulk of the motion is provided by 2 tunze streams run on independant wavetimers. Oh yea, I also have a pistol shrimp. I love this tank. Amongst all of mine, it is my baby.

Andrej

Very nice. Some day I hope to go with a reef tank.

Final update before I go to sleep. The area of attack has turned slightly hard and red, and is acting as though it is scabbing over. A very thin scab, but a scab none the less. If i remember my immuno class, combined with my human anatomy class, that means that the nematocysts have killed at least the first 10 layers of cells to get to a blood vessel (they would have had to go through the epidermis, the dermis and the hypodermis). My stupidity never ceases to amuse me.

Andrej

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom