Light for my 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm getting one of those (I believe it's jebo or odyssea) lights off ebay, and I'm wondering what would be the best option. One t5ho light with 156w (4x 39w) 1 t5ho going 78w (2x 39w) or 2x lights of (2x 39w)? These will be 36", unless a 30" 96w (4x 24w) would be best.

The tank will be co2 injected, and I was hoping for around 3 wpg, and the alternatives are like 1.9 wpg or 4.5 wpg (these are quick non-mathematical estimates.. lol)

I run 156w of t5ho over my 40 breeder....but not all the time. I have 2 bulbs on a burst setup and they come on for 4 hours in the middle of the light period. It will give you high light but not be too high. If you get a 4 bulb fixture, just make sure it has 2 power cords each controlling 2 bulbs...if you can't find one like that, then I'd suggest getting (2) 2 bulb fixtures.

For the odyssea lights. These are not that good at all. I would look into another brand of lighting if I was you. I know to many people who has had trouble with these lights and the company who makes them.:agrue:

See if you can just run three bulbs in the 36" four-bulb fixture. That'd almost give you 3Wpg exactly and would give you much better light coverage than a 24" bulb fixture.

I've been pretty happy with my 24" odyssea (130w cf). The wiring inside could be better, but overall I think it was worth it since it was like 1/4 the price of other lights, or like 1/6 the price of comparable wattage lights.

I'm assuming this light is jebo/odyssea, but it doesn't really have a brand. As long as it lasts a few years, I'll be happy. Since I guess we can't post ebay items, the item # is 110552071862. It has 3 cords, two for the 4 bulbs and one for the moonlight.

Hey Kristin, how many timers do you have on your light? Right now I just have my moonlights on all the time, and have my two bulbs are on the timer. I guess there's those expensive (possibly digital) timers, but the normal analog cheapy timers (slightly more expensive because they need to be grounded) are a pain because of how big they are.

Hey Kristin, how many timers do you have on your light? Right now I just have my moonlights on all the time, and have my two bulbs are on the timer. I guess there's those expensive (possibly digital) timers, but the normal analog cheapy timers (slightly more expensive because they need to be grounded) are a pain because of how big they are.

I have 2 timers on mine. I have one of those Coralife power center for the main plugs and the 9 hour lights and one of those regular 1 plug timers (cheap ones) for the others.

Back
Top Bottom