Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello forum...
Ive got a 40b set up and am currently running a Fluval LED strip on it for about 5 hours a day. Its a great light but its about as powerful as a dang super nova and a recent discussion in the other part of the forum got me thinking- maybe i dont have to have algae all the time?
Im looking to replace it with a finnex 24/7, vivid or (insert other option) and nothing too bright. Any experience/recommendations toward an appropriate light welcome.

the cheaper option would to add a layer of something to reduce its light. Window Tint. since you're not planted (assuming not planted with Cichlids) its almost purely for astetic reasons. I'd even go as far as using a sharpie to "black out" some individual LED's.

Free is the best price, you can definitely make some stealthy modifications that will still look great.

Also, You can probably modify it to get more "spots" of lights, which is a look i personally like. Some "shade" and some bright light, similar to nature.

the cheaper option would to add a layer of something to reduce its light. Window Tint. since you're not planted (assuming not planted with Cichlids) its almost purely for astetic reasons. I'd even go as far as using a sharpie to "black out" some individual LED's.

Free is the best price, you can definitely make some stealthy modifications that will still look great.

Also, You can probably modify it to get more "spots" of lights, which is a look i personally like. Some "shade" and some bright light, similar to nature.

Hadnt thought of tinting it, i did a similar thing in my old 60 gallon where i put masking tape over it to create a fake brown water type set up.
I could swear I have some laying around ill check later. Thanks!

Didnt have any tint laying around but I did find some heavy duty electrical tape and experimented with it.
Found a way of covering the LEDs i like a lot. Looks really natural and should completely curtail any further algae growth!

Been swamped the past three days, havent been able to do much of anything!
Heres the tank:
Excuse the water level, need to do a water change.

If it's a Shellie/tang tank, I would just use a standard t8. No need for special lighting unless you wanna invest in it for energy reasons or special functions.

If it's a Shellie/tang tank, I would just use a standard t8. No need for special lighting unless you wanna invest in it for energy reasons or special functions.

Yeah it's shellie/Tang, I'll keep the led on there for a while in its current dimmed state and see what if any algae reduction i have. If none happens I'll look into some t8s, pretty sure i have one or two laying around somewhere....

Get the viva grow 247 and just leave in 247 mode

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get the viva grow 247 and just leave in 247 mode

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never heard of that...is that your knock off 24/7? Unless I made a spelling/input error, Amazon didnt come up with one either.

Back
Top Bottom