Lighting for 220 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyEnr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have seen threads on here before about Taotronic LEDs I was looking into getting them for my 220gal. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they work well, as in, do they grow the coral and provide the proper lighting? Any feedback is appreciated.

well not sure about other Taotronic(since there are so many different brand of them), here is the PAR reading of the fixtures that I carry. I took the PAR reading last night. You will need 1 fixture per 24"

For salt water
most SPS(Acropora) require 200 ~ 550

some SPS(Montipora for example),Clam and LPS 150 ~ 250

Softies are 50~150

So with those information.

Here are some of the reading that will answer of "Can this light use for SW/SPS/Coral?"etc.
PLEASE NOTE ALL TESTING ARE 3 AND HALF INCHES ABOVE WATER LEVEL

aQ.Simple 24" 72W (Moon light off, so actual total is 64W)

3" 640
6" 355
12" 243
24" 137
32" 110
36" 93

This is perfect for mix reef tank, many people ask me about the fixtures but always want to get the higher output fixture, but the truce is, the 72W fixture is more than enough for more people when they doing mix reef tank with LPS and softies.

aQ.PRO 24" 108W ( Moon light off, actual total is 90W)
3" 930
6" 754
12" 470
24" 230
32" 178
36" 152

This is all around fixture, pretty much can support clam on the sand bed and even some SPS. Should be very good for everything.

And the last reading is the best fixture, aQ.Pharos. Here is my own PAR testing.

3" 3000(Off the chart)
6" 2047
12" 753
24" 316
32" 230
36" 200

I took the reading from about 1 and half inch from the middle of the fixture, so the reading is a little bit lower than the actual reading ( I can't do it right under the fixture because I tested it on my tank.)
This is by far the best reading. And for sure SPS would be fine at every level

I have seen threads on here before about Taotronic LEDs I was looking into getting them for my 220gal. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they work well, as in, do they grow the coral and provide the proper lighting? Any feedback is appreciated.

Im a month in and yes they are working great and my coral are growing. I only have 2 SPS coral that were brown and not doing will under T5's. I changed to LED (125w dimable) and they have taken off. Great growth and color. For a 220 gallon I'd assume you'd need 4 fixtures but I'm only saying that because of seeing Mr.Saltwater Tank's 22gal and he uses 4 Radion...lol I have 2 units on my 55 and they light up my entire livingroom....

I too am looking to upgrade to LEDs. So far I'm looking at TaoTronics TY-AL Dimmable,120 watt, TaoTronics TY-AL 141 watt, or Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED. My DT is 72 x 24 x 24" so I think 3 units will work. At this time I'm leaning toward the Evergrow for the extra wave lengths. Hopefully someone that has one will chime in.

I am about to purchase three "Chinese black boxes" for a 125g and currently have one over a 47g column tank and love it. I say three would be great over your tank. It's really the cheapest way to get sps light levels over a large tank.
I'm going with the twilight group, they are a little cheaper than evergrow, and have an actual heatsink, only one power cord.

Back
Top Bottom