Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really tell cuz the 2nd pic is kinda out of focus lol.
Personally I think warm white and Royal blue is enough to bring out the color of the coral already, then the next would be UV/Violet etc

Hey guys sorry once more to be a hijack of the thread, but I live in Australia and taotronics don't seem to ship here but there seems to be others that I think are the same but I'm not sure, if anyone who knows these lights and can check out the Australian eBay site (www.ebay.com.au) and confirm/deny I would be most grateful

Hey guys sorry once more to be a hijack of the thread, but I live in Australia and taotronics don't seem to ship here but there seems to be others that I think are the same but I'm not sure, if anyone who knows these lights and can check out the Australian eBay site (www.ebay.com.au) and confirm/deny I would be most grateful
Here's one that's not dimmable-
120W LED GROW Aquarium Coral Reef Tank BLUE WHITE Light LAMP AQUA LAMP | eBay
...and one that is-
Dimmable 165W AQUARIUM Led Grow Light Royal Blue 10000K White Marine Coral Reef | eBay

It really matters if you already have coral. Even at 50% power the lights are too strong and coral newds to adjust. My hanner coral has frown onto the rock so i cant move it and for a couple of days i thought i might have killed it with too much light but its back out now and looking good. Ive decided to run one unit on50% over my lps and make the other side of mi tank sps with 100%. Its good to have the option. Also the white and blue dim seperatly so if you like a bluer light you can turn more blue on than white...

Sanchez, what makes T5 lighting so effective is the individual reflectors per bulb. That fixture you posted is greatly hindered by the fact that it's not individually reflected. It says they are individually contoured reflectors, but the picture doesn't look like it. If they are contoured, they aren't contoured much. I have heard a million horror stores about the Odyssea brand. I haven't had any first hand experience however.

You are quite welcome. BTW, of the two, I would take the dimmable one. The non Dimmable one has more whites than blues. I've seen this fixture before and it really appears as though it's about 10-12k. Not much blue at all when both are lit. You want a ratio of more blues than whites.

Sanchez, what makes T5 lighting so effective is the individual reflectors per bulb. That fixture you posted is greatly hindered by the fact that it's not individually reflected. It says they are individually contoured reflectors, but the picture doesn't look like it. If they are contoured, they aren't contoured much. I have heard a million horror stores about the Odyssea brand. I haven't had any first hand experience however.

Mr. X,

I have heard good and the bad about it. Does anyone else have any input concerning this?

sanchezkk said:
Mr. X,

I have heard good and the bad about it. Does anyone else have any input concerning this?

It's the cheapest T5s you can get. It comes with lousy bulbs, a subpar ballast, the lights are too close together (lots of re-strike) and the reflector is basically a piece of plastic with mylar that's bent a little.

Now, they will grow corals but not much better than an average T5NO fixture. I do own one (in my closet). They are perfectly usable for soft corals and many LPSs, or on a shallow tank but I'd look elsewhere for something to keep demanding corals. The horror stories are usually old and mostly about their first gen MH ballasts.

I tend to lean towards hydroponics websites for T5 fixtures. Not as stylish, but quite effective. I have a Hydrofarm 8 x 54 watt HO fixture right now that puts out 40,000 lumens. very nice reflectors on these. Just be aware of the overall dimensions, because they tend to have larger reflectors than aquatic units.

Looks inticing but for the last couple of days I've been considering complete LED hoods. Any thoughts? I think I'd like one because of the long life one gets out of them.

Back
Top Bottom