Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I've been doing some research on lighting for my Fluval Edge 23L and still at a loss.

A recent purchase of some rubble has turned up a small colony of zoa and a mushroom. So now I need to think about my lighting some more. Currently I have the stock led lights. About 5w I believe. No idea about their par.

My question is, will they be sufficient to support zoa, mushrooms and Ricordea?

Are they powerful enough, within acceptable spectrum range etc?

Has anyone had a softie set up in an edge with stock lights?

Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated.

Not familiar with that lighting. Those corals will do good with mid level lighting. I have all of them with VHO lighting and they do good in it. When I get back from vacation next week I`m switching to LED lights.

I believe its enough light, but wrong spectrum for corals. I believe the halogens are 4100k, and you need to get up around 6500k at least. I'd recommend an LED unit, with that size tank, should be inexpensive.

Those are the ones I run on my 204g tank. Just as good as the Reef Radiance, if not the exact same as.

I suggest a full spectrum par38 bulb they are great lighting for nano tanks. They will grow really well under a single bulb and many people have grown LPS and SPS under them.

What you need to know when you get them is to raise it high (2ft away from surface) when you first add them on as it can shock fish and corals because of the intensity. Later you can slowly bring the unit down closer as they adjust. They do sell 2ft tall e27 goosenecks for par38 bulbs, which I'm using one for my tank right now. :)

Be careful when buying a par38, make sure you have a good warranty as mine has "blown" twice in less then a year. The repair at no cost but still I have to pay 10$ every time I send it back. Mine was even a reef koi, it's currently back at there headquarters now as it blew this week. So glad im upgrading though my acro is doing fantastic under my 69watt build I have over the tank for the mean time. Who knows why?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful when buying a par38, make sure you have a good warranty as mine has "blown" twice in less then a year. The repair at no cost but still I have to pay 10$ every time I send it back. Mine was even a reef koi, it's currently back at there headquarters now as it blew this week. So glad im upgrading though my acro is doing fantastic under my 69watt build I have over the tank for the mean time. Who knows why?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to hear that it blown. I have kept 4 different Par38 bulbs with no problems. Personally your the first ever person to come across that have mentioned theirs to have blown. I think if its happened again for the second time on the same bulb, ideally they should send you a new bulb altogether and not repair it.

Back
Top Bottom