Lights on a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We are a little short on money and have been waiting on picking up a $50 hood and light fixture on our 30 gallon tank. I only have a breeding pair of angelfish in there. However, both times they've spawned in the last 3 weeks they've eaten their eggs. They see sunlight from a small half-window (we live underground in an apartment so the window is small and at the top of the wall) but it's nothing compared to what an aquarium light would give off.

How much of a necessity is it to have a hood and light? Do you think the lack of light could be causing these guys to eat their eggs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I understand, angels eat their eggs if they are left in the tank with them, so I wouldn't fault the lighting. As for the lighting, if your tank is 2 ft long, you could actually go to home depot and pick up a $15 "shop light". Just make sure it is t-8 or t-5. People only recommend t-5 for highly planted tanks that need high lighting. I went with t-8 and got a couple aquarium plant lights for it and it is growing my plants very well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought 2, 4 ft shop lights and they are a cheaper alternative to lighting your tank

Attachments

• 1412006871058.jpg
    1412006871058.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 1412006889992.jpg
    1412006889992.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 77
That strip that you see in the top photo, next to the bulbs, is a color light strip for at night. $40 at home depot and I can change the color of my fish tank in about 30 different colors.

I'd go glass tops and the aqueon modular LED light, those shop light will put out more light tho if you ever want higher light plants.

Back
Top Bottom