Lionhead goldfish: on bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-3486849932.jpg

55 gallon tank with 4 juvenile fancy goldfish and an albino longfinned bristlenose Pleco.

Bubby, this fish, eats fine and can swim evenly so I am suspecting fungus or parasite.

I have 500 gallons per hour filtration and an additional 70 via air pump.

Water parameters were great and just did a pwc yesterday.

I have salt, pimafix, and melafix on hand.

Tank is at 72 degrees. Other fish are all well.

No visible signs of illness.

Thank you!

If anyone is able to identify a thread with appropriate step-by-step instructions, or provide them directly, I would appreciate it!

Hi
He is fed Hikari Goldfish pellets, pre-soaked, sliced orange, Omega One Freeze Dried brine shrimp, and algae wafers.
I plan on making my own gel food but haven't found the probiotic ingredient yet.
His poop is a single brownish strand. I haven't seen him poop today.

Thanks very much for posting!

Hi! What are your exact nitrate levels? What do feed everybody? Fungus is a visible, external issue. You would see tufts of white 'hair' growing. Have you introduced anyone new in the past month or two? How long have you had the fish in question? Have you seen any strange poop from this fish? These questions will help to rule in or out a parasite issue. Any symptoms at all (flashing, white fuzzy areas, spots, bloating, lack of appetite, etc)? Unfortunately, goldies are prone to swimbladder issues and they can manifest themselves in various ways (floatiness, bottom-sitting, headstanding, flipover, etc). There really isnt a 'cure' for SB. Antibiotics can be tried if a SB infection is suspected but there is no guarentee they will help. Some more info will help! :)

Amazon has over 1200 lisitings for acidophilus/probiotics. You can also try Puritans Pride or Lucky Vitamin sites. You can make a batch of gel food without acidophilus for these guys right now!

I haven't added anything but it is a pretty new set up. All of the fish but Zombie (pic) are that new. ...well, added over the last three months.

image-3716791270.jpg

I took water to my lfs and had them test it too. Both came out fine. I don't have the exact readings. I will do it again...

Its possible he was constipated. I would skip anything freeze dried/crisps/etc. Fresh or frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, bits of human shrimp/fish, etc are all good. Veggies are must! If you have room to dig outside, go find some juicy worms/bugs (chemical free area for digging). Watch everybodys poop closely to see if you see anything strange. I would just offer everybody veggies & some fruits for the next few days to help clear out the digestive tract & see if this helps. Make sure your keeping your nitrates well under control- nitrates cause goldies to bottom sit as well. Good luck! :)

Thanks very much!
Sorry about the delay on readings. My dog and son are needing me too. Lol
I have been afraid of frozen foods because I thought that they could carry parasites?

I have read this before and I seriously doubt its validity. If this was the case. I believe most of the people on this forum would have sick fish (myself included). Stick to the well known brands (such as Hikari) that ensure the quality of their products. I regularly feed frozen bloodworms & brine shrimp in addition to the worms I dig up in the backyard. :)

I took your advice about only fruit and veggies for a few days. The periods of time laying on the bottom have greatly decreased! I think we are back to normal. :D

Glad to hear this! Just stay on top of your water changes & keep giving them daily veggies & some fruits plus their regular food. If they start acting strange again, just switch back to only fruits & veggies for a couple of days until things are back to normal. :)

Back
Top Bottom