List of fish i'm considering for my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well to start off with my tank is a 10 Gallon but will be upgraded to a 15 Gallon in 8 Months time the tank is cycling testing water parameters tomorrow and everyday till I get fish. All the fish listed below are supplied by my trusted aquatics centre which is great for Freshwater, Coldwater and Marine stuff but outstanding for Freshwater stuff.

Fish I'm getting:
2 Endler Livebearers (Next Week)
2 Sparkling Gourami (Next Week)
3 Panda Corys (Next Month)
2 Otos (The Month after that)

Fish that I like.I want to get some fish from this list:
Dwarf Gourami
Honey Gourami
Neon Dwarf (Praecox) Rainbowfish
Threadfin Rainbowfish
American Flagfish
Lyretail Panchanx
Two stripe Lyretail
Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
Many Banded Shelldweller
Ram Cichlid

Well that's my list please add to it and suggest some different fish and also tell me if any of the fish on this list aren't suitable for a 15 Gallon.
Thank you for taking you time to read this :D

Could you possibly get a 20g long or a 29 gal instead? Many of those fish would be much better suited in a longer tank.

Could you possibly get a 20g long or a 29 gal instead? Many of those fish would be much better suited in a longer tank.

Maximum I could get is a 20 Gallon because my two local fish stores sell a lot of 10,15,20 gallons and then there a big jump to massive tanks with cabinets for £500. I can't afford this. My 10 Gallon was £100 pounds and then there's substrate, plants, ornaments and fish. So it will probably be a 15 as my second tank maybe a 20 gallon at a push. Because I can't find any 20s or 29s that are cheap :(

Wow I can get 10 gallon tanks for 10$ in USA

So jealous dude my 10 Gallon is top notch and included a great filter and Delta Therm Heater I got it for £80 and it is great. Love it. The next tank is literally identical to my 10 gallon it is same shape, same materials, same brand but its a 15 Gallon. It will cost me £125 at the moment but hopefully the price will drop in eights month time. The 15 Gallon will be a community tank and the 10 Gallon a tetra school :)

Do you have a website like Craigslist over there because I bought a 55 gallon with everything for 100 bucks

Well on Craigslist I open the page and type in aquariums fish tanks etc and it pulls up the aquariums in my location then you contact the seller talk him down LOL. Get his address and pay for your tank and bring it home

Well on Craigslist I open the page and type in aquariums fish tanks etc and it pulls up the aquariums in my location then you contact the seller talk him down LOL. Get his address and pay for your tank and bring it home

It's the same on gumtree I just saw a 30 gallon all inclusive for £70 when I paid £80 for my 10 gallon :(

If possible, I'd go with at least 4 cory cats rather than just 3. They're schoolers so they like to have a bunch of friends. You can also bump the number of endlers if you want to make sure one doesn't get picked on too much by the other since endlers tend to be pretty single minded about constantly wanting to breed.

As for your wishlist, I'd avoid the Cichlids (Shell Dwellers and Rams included) for that size tank. They tend to be too territorial for a community when in tighter quarters. I'd also avoid the Flagfish, as they can be very nippy toward the gourami feelers or Endler tails.

Killies can be hit or miss in communities... If your goal is to breed them, I doubt you'll be successful with the rest of your stock... Cory cats love to eat fish eggs, and the gourami will be eager to munch the fry that do hatch.

Gourami can be tricky to mix species... I haven't tried Sparkling Gourami, but I've heard they're more shy. They may get intimidated if you add the more fiesty Dwarf Gourami to the mix, but Honey gourami MAY be mellow enough to pull off... It really depends on the personalities and how you introduce them.

A better mix would be to go with the rainbowfish instead. Rainbows are schoolers, so the Neon Dwarf ones will be a little large for your tank with the rest of the stock. Stick to 6+ of the Threadfins. They have some really cool fin displays if you have a balanced group of males/females that make up for their smaller size. They also double as good dither fish to help the gourami feel confident enough to hang out in the open instead of hiding a lot. The gourami will see the male threadfins doing their fin displays for breeding and will assume that means there's no predators around :)

If possible, I'd go with at least 4 cory cats rather than just 3. They're schoolers so they like to have a bunch of friends. You can also bump the number of endlers if you want to make sure one doesn't get picked on too much by the other since endlers tend to be pretty single minded about constantly wanting to breed.

As for your wishlist, I'd avoid the Cichlids (Shell Dwellers and Rams included) for that size tank. They tend to be too territorial for a community when in tighter quarters. I'd also avoid the Flagfish, as they can be very nippy toward the gourami feelers or Endler tails.

Killies can be hit or miss in communities... If your goal is to breed them, I doubt you'll be successful with the rest of your stock... Cory cats love to eat fish eggs, and the gourami will be eager to munch the fry that do hatch.

Gourami can be tricky to mix species... I haven't tried Sparkling Gourami, but I've heard they're more shy. They may get intimidated if you add the more fiesty Dwarf Gourami to the mix, but Honey gourami MAY be mellow enough to pull off... It really depends on the personalities and how you introduce them.

A better mix would be to go with the rainbowfish instead. Rainbows are schoolers, so the Neon Dwarf ones will be a little large for your tank with the rest of the stock. Stick to 6+ of the Threadfins. They have some really cool fin displays if you have a balanced group of males/females that make up for their smaller size. They also double as good dither fish to help the gourami feel confident enough to hang out in the open instead of hiding a lot. The gourami will see the male threadfins doing their fin displays for breeding and will assume that means there's no predators around :)

Thanks much for the advice. Firstly the size of the tank isn't an issue because I am upgrading to a 30 gallon + in 8 months at which point all my stock from the 10 gallon will go in the 30, which will become a community tank and the 10 gallon will become home to a school of cardinal tetras my favourite fish :D

Thanks much for the advice. Firstly the size of the tank isn't an issue because I am upgrading to a 30 gallon + in 8 months at which point all my stock from the 10 gallon will go in the 30, which will become a community tank and the 10 gallon will become home to a school of cardinal tetras my favourite fish :D

Actually the size of the tank is an issue even if you are looking at upgrading. You need to be sure your stocking can survive 8+ months comfortably in a 10G.

Actually the size of the tank is an issue even if you are looking at upgrading. You need to be sure your stocking can survive 8+ months comfortably in a 10G.

Hers is the plan I am going to fill the 10g with 2 sparkling gourami 2 Endler tetras 2 Otos 3 panda corys over the course of the next 8 months then I will buy a 30g + and transfer my 10g stock to my 30g and leave it for a month for the fish to acclimate to their new home then I will start thinking about getting some more fish for the 30g the empty 10g will become home to a schooling fish 6 or 7 of them such as cardinal tetras or harEquin rasboras

+1

I'd focus on stocking the tank that you have now and worry about stocking any future tanks when the time comes.

+1

I'd focus on stocking the tank that you have now and worry about stocking any future tanks when the time comes.

Would 2 Endler livebears 2 sparkling gourami 2 Otos 3 panda cories be okey for 8 months in a ten gallon until I can buy a bigger tank (30gallon+)?

^x2. Cichlids don't know that they're getting more space soon. They just know what they're in now. If they start off with the idea that they don't have enough space then they'll develop behavior issues with their current tankmates that will be hard to break the habit of when they finally do have space.

Plus, I tend to be the skeptic that always says hope for the best, plan for the worst... Meaning that although you intend on upgrading in 8 months, we're not fortune tellers; life can change during that span and make upgrading get delayed. For example, I've been planning on adding a sump to one of my tanks for over 2 months now and haven't gotten around to it yet. However, since I didn't increase my stock level or add those sensitive shrimp that I know will need the increased water capacity for stability, my tank is still running fine despite the delay.

^x2. Cichlids don't know that they're getting more space soon. They just know what they're in now. If they start off with the idea that they don't have enough space then they'll develop behavior issues with their current tankmates that will be hard to break the habit of when they finally do have space.

Plus, I tend to be the skeptic that always says hope for the best, plan for the worst... Meaning that although you intend on upgrading in 8 months, we're not fortune tellers; life can change during that span and make upgrading get delayed. For example, I've been planning on adding a sump to one of my tanks for over 2 months now and haven't gotten around to it yet. However, since I didn't increase my stock level or add those sensitive shrimp that I know will need the increased water capacity for stability, my tank is still running fine despite the delay.

That's the point I'm trying to get across here I'm only going to stock what is suitable for a ten gallon then when I upgrade i will get more fish.
The 10 gallon will have 2 sparkling gourami 2 Endler livebearer 2 Otos and 3 panda corys they will live in ther for eight months then they will be transfers to much bigger tank 30gallon+ and then after a month I will gradually stock the thirty. But I will only fill the 10gallon with what's suitable incase for some reason I can't upgrade :)

Would 2 Endler livebears 2 sparkling gourami 2 Otos 3 panda cories be okey for 8 months in a ten gallon until I can buy a bigger tank (30gallon+)?

Yeah they'd be ok, although I'd recommend waiting on the otos. They need very mature tanks to do well in. I prob wouldn't put sparkling gouramis in a bigger community tank as they are quite shy and can easily get outcompeted for food by more boisterous tankmates. A single honey gourami would work well though.

Back
Top Bottom