Little ammonia No Nitrite 2+months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.25 ammonia no nitrite

If I have .25ppm of ammonia and 0ppm nitrite should I still do a 20% water change? Thx!

I thought adding ‘media’ to the tank from a trusted source was similar to adding water from a trusted tank. So far so good but won’t do that again. Rasboras are happy on day 3 of being in tank. Fingers crossed they stay happy and healthy! Thx

I thought adding ‘media’ to the tank from a trusted source was similar to adding water from a trusted tank. So far so good but won’t do that again. Rasboras are happy on day 3 of being in tank. Fingers crossed they stay happy and healthy! Thx
The beneficial bacteria you are trying to transfer over lives on surface area. Thats the glass, in the substrate, on leaves of any plants, on decorations. Mostly though in filter media. If you can get hold of some media from a cycled filter thats great. Squeezing out a sponge from that filter into your water is good too.

Very little beneficial bacteria lives in the water. All you are potentially transferring over is the stuff you dont want. Like parasites, bacteria etc. No benefits, all risk.

I would go as far as to say knowing how fish stores operate, lots of turnover of fish, water circulating through multiple tanks etc its inevitable their water carries stuff you dont want. Healthy fish have good immune systems and can fight things off. Parasites like ich are probably in a lot of tanks without anyone even noticing as the fish are otherwise healthy and have good immunity.

Still no nitrite

Thx. That all makes sense about media.
My ammonia is around 1ppm. Still 0 nitrite. Fish are happy.

PH hard to lower

Thx. Did 50% water change and have ammonia at .25ppm. Still zero nitrite. Checking regularly. Also, I’ve been using PH Down but can seem to get it to go down under 7.6.

Picture of tank

I’ve attached a picture of my tank FYI. Thx!

Attachments

• 2F203134-94E8-487D-880E-93CB80AFED8D.jpg
    2F203134-94E8-487D-880E-93CB80AFED8D.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 22
Thx. Did 50% water change and have ammonia at .25ppm. Still zero nitrite. Checking regularly. Also, I’ve been using PH Down but can seem to get it to go down under 7.6.
Stop trying to alter pH. 7.6 is fine. Maintaining a steady pH is far more beneficial than trying to achieve what you think is a good pH. Fighting against a tanks natural pH just causes it to swing about which isnt good. Unless you have a serious pH issue or particularly sensitive fish, just let it be. Most fish are very adaptable and will acclimate to a wide range of pH values.

Some driftwood in your aquascape will bring it down a little, peat moss in the filter if you really need to alter it, are better ways to lower pH without resorting to chemicals.

Thank you Aiken! I’ll look into a black background.
Update: I continue to do water changes regularly to keep ammonia down. No nitrites yet.
Thanks!

My fish mentor always makes a positive comment when he sees a black background and i cant disagree. Hides equipment down the back of the tank and makes everything in it stand out.

Hi. Checking in. We’re getting lots of ammonia, 1ppm/day and also doing 50% water changes basically every day with the 1ppm ammonia. We had gotten a few water lettuce plants and apparently they had snails on them. We have lots of little snails now in the tank that I’m guessing are raising the ammonia. Should we pull some out?
Still no nitrite.
Thank you!

Still no nitrites. I’m doing daily 25% or every other day 50% tank changes. Leaving the substrate to grow/not vacuuming. Can’t believe how long it’s taking. 6 rasboras are hanging in there. Whenever I see one not with the school I test and do water change based on ammonia amount. Come on Nitrites! Where are you?

What sort of ammonia levels are you seeing? How often are you having to do water changes to keep ammonia safe? Are you seeing any nitrate?

I’m seeing .5 and 1ppm of ammonia daily. Changing water 20% when I see .5 and doing 50% when I see 1ppm.
No nitrite

Picture of test vials

I’ll keep doing what I’m doing and see what happens.

Attachments

• 70381F06-DFF8-49D7-B28C-7E6A2B4A9249.jpg
    70381F06-DFF8-49D7-B28C-7E6A2B4A9249.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom