Loach Lovers Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you familiar with Channa? Gorgeous fish. They're also monsters- and banned in.. I believe all of the US. Because people bought them and then realized they couldn't support them and released them into the wild. Of course anyone could guess what that led to.

I've been trying to find a private seller overseas to buy dwarf channa from for awhile, particularly channa bleheri.

Just left the LFS, they had a wide variety of loaches today, tons of clowns, a group of 6 little kuhlis and a few botia species. Left with a predatory cat instead 0_0

Thinking about doing a group of Kuhli's in my 16 after my cory's, thoughts and how many? Definitely not doing unless all cory's are gone.

Thinking about doing a group of Kuhli's in my 16 after my cory's, thoughts and how many? Definitely not doing unless all cory's are gone.

I have 8 in my 10g, no problems at all.

I've been trying to find a private seller overseas to buy dwarf channa from for awhile, particularly channa bleheri.
I know of someone who bought one that was mislabeled as a Dragon goby at a pet store, but after posting pictures of it online somebody reported it to DEC and they took it. Otherwise I don't know anyone who's owned one in the US.

They used to be available and you couldn't hardly give them away. Since the ban you would pay big money for them now to get one. There's plenty of people in the states with them, they just don't plaster pictures online about owning them

When we first brought home khuli's for our then new tank and released them from the bag one got 'stuck' in a couple cetimeter deep, inch long notch in our heater and just kept swimming back and forth in that notch for like 30 seconds. Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen

When we first brought home khuli's for our then new tank and released them from the bag one got 'stuck' in a couple cetimeter deep, inch long notch in our heater and just kept swimming back and forth in that notch for like 30 seconds. Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen

OH MY GOODNESS I FORGOT ABOUT THAT that was the funniest thing! Just standing there like, "Hey! Hey! Uh, buddy! You've still got about 10 inches to go!"

Anybody got any good science-y questions about loaches? I'm thinking about possible research/independant study topics involving loaches.

Are their spines venomous?
What aspect of their immune system makes them seemingly more susceptible to internal parasites?
Do they have stronger chemical mucosal defenses than fish with scales to make up for their apparently weaker barrier defenses?
What is their hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen? (Fish in high oxygen waters tend to have hemoglobin with less affinity for oxygen)
What is their gill surface area like? Higher, because they are active and need to swim fast in their high-flow invironment, or lower, because they live in naturally high-oxygen environments?

Last edited:
Anybody got any good science-y questions about loaches? I'm thinking about possible research/independant study topics involving loaches.

Are their spines venomous?
What aspect of their immune system makes them seemingly more susceptible to internal parasites?
Do they have stronger chemical mucosal defenses than fish with scales to make up for their apparently weaker barrier defenses?
What is their hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen? (Fish in high flow waters tend to have hemoglobin with less affinity for oxygen)
What is their gill surface area like? Higher, because they are active and need to swim fast in their high-flow invironment, or lower, because they live in naturally high-oxygen environments?

All of the above

It could be interesting to investigate them building their tunnels. How that'd be done would be hard but seeing how/if they plan the network would be cool

Not all loaches are from fast-flow environments. Like Yoyo loaches like slower moving water don't they?

Back
Top Bottom