Loach Lovers Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not all loaches are from fast-flow environments. Like Yoyo loaches like slower moving water don't they?

True, but they're more of an exception. On the other hand many loaches like water so fast that they practically need a species tank build around ridiculous water flow.

I have a challenge for you. Successfully been weather and Kuhli loaches in the home aquarium.

Good luck XD

Hey that's actually a question, why are most loaches unsuccessful at breeding in the home aquarium?

Caleb

I have a challenge for you. Successfully been weather and Kuhli loaches in the home aquarium.

Good luck XD

Hey that's actually a question, why are most loaches unsuccessful at breeding in the home aquarium?

Caleb

That is a good mystery, and one I've been wondering about, but it's probably something that would be very hard to solve in the lab. But maybe...... Hmm..... I have some ideas....

Do share I would love to know

Caleb

There's a really awesome fish reproductive endocrinologist here. I bet she would know how to set up experiments to determine loach reproductive neuroendocrine pathways and then by figuring out what triggers all of those pathways we can figure out how to get loaches to spawn in the aquarium.

I'm thinking about sending her an email and asking....

There's a really awesome fish reproductive endocrinologist here. I bet she would know how to set up experiments to determine loach reproductive neuroendocrine pathways and then by figuring out what triggers all of those pathways we can figure out how to get loaches to spawn in the aquarium.

I'm thinking about sending her an email and asking....

Umm yes! If we found a way imagine the possibilities

Caleb

Anybody got any good science-y questions about loaches? I'm thinking about possible research/independant study topics involving loaches.

Are their spines venomous?
What aspect of their immune system makes them seemingly more susceptible to internal parasites?
Do they have stronger chemical mucosal defenses than fish with scales to make up for their apparently weaker barrier defenses?
What is their hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen? (Fish in high oxygen waters tend to have hemoglobin with less affinity for oxygen)
What is their gill surface area like? Higher, because they are active and need to swim fast in their high-flow invironment, or lower, because they live in naturally high-oxygen environments?

I am doing a fitness tafe course so I think I understand those last few questions. The last one I would be interested to know just how large their surface area for gas exchange is and I'd be interested to see if they have more fast twitch or slow twitch muscle fibers. If you think about it the species like your clowns, and such that have a shorter, and taller body would they be more built for pure brute force of living in these fast flowing environments as opposed to your yoyos and other long eel/snake like loaches that I assume would find it much harder to live in fast flowing environments.

YES to natural selection

Hillstream loaches are the king of fast-flowing rivers, body type wise they're built for that environment.

Sorry if my comment made no sense....

They used to be available and you couldn't hardly give them away. Since the ban you would pay big money for them now to get one. There's plenty of people in the states with them, they just don't plaster pictures online about owning them
When were they banned? Personally I don't mess with fish that have already been banned. If they weren't I would love a 200,300 gallon paludarium build. I think it was PFK that did it to replicate a river biotope they found them in.

Since that's out I want to do a river bank paludarium build for some loaches if I can find a good match.

Here's a science question that I'm plagued with right now. Other than heat, are there good medications or active ingredients I should use while treating for ick.

Here's a science question that I'm plagued with right now. Other than heat, are there good medications or active ingredients I should use while treating for ick.

I have read you can use medication with scaleless fish. But you use half the normal dosage. Some even use a quarter to be safe.

Caleb

Certain meds are a big no-no for scaleless. I have ick guard by jungle labs and it clearly states do not use on scaleless. I have malachite green which is okay in half dose, and depending on the fish, coppersafe or cupramine. I actually just treated my pictus cats with Cupramine (Seachem) without issue. Heat didn't seem to do anything.

I have used kordon rid ich plus(not herbal crap!) on my 180g with 11 clownloaches in it without fail for over a decade.
My loaches are NEVER the sick fish, and I half dose day 1 and go right to full dose on day 2 if no issues are noted!
Good luck I have clown loaches for the last 15 years(several of these guys are still with me).

Just found this thread. Think loaches are probably one of my favorite fish next to rainbow sharks and tiger barbs.

What does everyone feed picky loaches in a community tank or something do they just get the scraps?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just found this thread. Think loaches are probably one of my favorite fish next to rainbow sharks and tiger barbs.

What does everyone feed picky loaches in a community tank or something do they just get the scraps?

My dojos and Angelicus just eat whatever.. Flakes, algae tablets, veggie wafers, etc.

My ropefish is hand or spot fed life worms every day.

Caleb

My yoyo and 3 angelicus eat omega 3 super carnivore frozen food, hikari sinking pellets, and the occasional algae wafer.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just bought my first clow loach today. Haven't seen it since I put it in my tank. My LFS said they can live up to 40 years! They can get pretty large too but they are slow growing.

One more thing....when I bought the clown loach my LFS said it's common for the loach to lay on his side, so don't think anything is wrong with it.

I just bought my first clow loach today. Haven't seen it since I put it in my tank. My LFS said they can live up to 40 years! They can get pretty large too but they are slow growing.

Are you planning on getting any more? Loaches prefer to be in groups.

At least 5 clowns and at least a 125 gallon tank!

I'll be honest, I'm sick of hearing "they're slow-growing". It's not an excuse for putting any kind of fish in a tank too small, unless you happen to have a proper sized setup just waiting in the wings. It especially annoys me with clown loaches where there are similar options ranging in adult size from 2 to 8 inches.

Back
Top Bottom