Loach Lovers Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you planning on getting any more? Loaches prefer to be in groups.

I've heard if not kept in a group they can become slightly aggressive. They can lay on their sides and play dead much like oscars as a form of pouting.

Caleb

I used the kordons ick attack the "herbal crap" and it worked just fine for my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used the kordons ick attack the "herbal crap" and it worked just fine for my tank

Many reports of it being a good product that just takes a little longer to be effective then stronger meds.
I don't keep shrimp so with decades of experience with clown loaches I don't worry one bit using real meds.
I guess if I had shrimp or a fish I had worries for I may try a different approach.
Sometimes how long a fish is exposed to illness/meds can be the defining factor.
I kill ich FAST!

It actually didn't take too long for it to work. 2 weeks maybe? But yeah heavily planted and shrimp so I didn't have many options.

I've had ick in the past and cranking the temp to 34-36 worked for me.
Of course I don't have any loaches so I'm not sure if they would handle those temps.

I was roaming loaches.com and really wanting a riverine tank now lol

Caleb

Isn't that site the best? Did you see they have a forum even? Gosh I love that site. I really want to take the wedding gift 55 and make it a river manifold but, marriage and compromise :lol: sometimes you have to get angelfish when you want brookstream loaches :lol:

I honestly think it's unbelievable that loaches aren't as popular as catfish or cichlids. I guess probably because they don't spawn so easily. But they're just as full of personality and awesome behavior. Has anyone else witnessed the epic battles for dominance in schools of any of the botiid loaches? That stuff's crazy.

I sent an email to my advisor- who is good friends with the fish reproductive endocrinologist here- and asked him about looking at reproductive neuroendocrine pathways in loaches to find out how to get them to spawn. He's a friend as well as a scientist so he can tell me if it's a stupid idea before I embarrass myself.

If loaches are hard to breed does that mean that most of these are wild caught?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most are outside of the most common ones. If I recall, some clown loaches are aquacultured but this involves artificial introduction of hormones to force them to spawn so they aren't much better of an option.

Most are outside of the most common ones. If I recall, some clown loaches are aquacultured but this involves artificial introduction of hormones to force them to spawn so they aren't much better of an option.
This^ is how they are captive breeding Denison barbs also!.
I own both in good schools in my 180(11 clowns@10-15 yrs , and 12 roselines @5+ years).

Great article!(y)
My loaches and roselines go ballistic for tubiflex worms.
More then anything else I offer.
I have a pair of my clowns dance several times over the years almost seasonally?(the whole tank can get on edge due too them).:hide:
When either group decide to tear it up the whole tank spins around them!
I run moon lights and they are active or "clowning" almost 24/7.
Info in article is pretty good as most feel clowns are ich magnets I have a hard time telling new owners once they establish they are almost bullet proof!They are not immune but some want to believe so!:facepalm:
I didn't know I may have 20-30 more years with them!
I will have to build the basement aquarium!:dance:

I'm still obsessed and still want a riverine tank lol.

Caleb
My riverine tank cracked, so I've been trying not to think about it too much. It was devastating to lose that tank. I've seen some really gorgeous Hillstreams since than, so I really hope the people that have bought them put them in the right set up.

Called lfs and after weeks of not having any kuhlie loaches they finally got 5...so I'm getting 3 more tomorrow! :D:D:dance::dance: so good things come to those who wait right?

Pushed up my DT weekly pwc and now have to do a pwc on the QT so it's all ready for the newbies. Happy I don't have to heat or add prime to the QT water, have a bin thats gassed off for a few days now and no inhabitants that I have to worry about temp matching.

We almost picked up some dario or almorhae today but Petco was fresh out of them :( I'm way too excited to pick up some loaches for the 55 we'll be getting as a wedding gift. We did get some nice platies for the tank as a mothers day gift!

Is it possible that play sand would stick to a loachs gills and cause it to die?

Back
Top Bottom