loaches vs pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
when I get the 60g should I get a pleco? or a loach or both? and why, I have 5 otos at this time for algae.

some loaches eat snails and they are fun to watch. I don't have any in my 35 tho

plecos eat gunk off the bottom and are fun to watch

otos eat algae off of glass adn leaves and are fun to watch

Get both. Clown or Yoyo loaches. Bristlenose, rubbernose or clown plecos. All of them are very interesting to look at.

I've heard that pleco's will get quite territorial with other bottom dwelling fishes. I prefer loaches myself, but they perform very different jobs. Algae cleaning vs substrate cleaning.

will for algae i have my ottos right? so how about shrimp vs pleco?

I prefer both. I have clown loaches in with a chinese algae eater and a striped raphael catfish and I have yoyo's in with a gold nugget pleco. Both groups have been together for several months with no problems.

tropicfishman said:
a nice common pleco

So you have a tank that can house an 18" fish? Common plecos are not recommended, afaik, by anyone here. :p

I just got a clown pleco and he's quite cool looking, although apparently one of the more shy plecos. I've read on this board that the bristlenose plecos are the most active and have seen many recommendations for the albino bristlenose.

I also have a yoyo loach and 3 cories, none of whom have had any problems with the others. ;)

I love my clown pleco but he really just hides and eats wood adn peas

my bristlenose plecos do a great job of substrate cleaning, tho they kick up some plants.

mY shrimp do a terrific job of both algae eating and substrate cleaning and I would never go without them again

If I weren't about to let my apistos breed, I'd go for some kubotai loaches for snail egg eating and fun to look at. and they don't get too big.

And I have otos who eat algae (and kale)

so my vote remains go for as many as you can fit. They really are fun to watch and do different things.

Sherry, this brings up a question I was meaning to ask, and this seems a fairly appropriate place:

Do bottom feeders ever get 'overcrowded'?

For instance, I have 3 cories, a yoyo, a pleco in my 30g long tank, and was going to stop and pickup a dozen or so ghost shrimp omw home today, for cleaning and entertainment value, but I wouldn't want to unduly stress my 'cleaners'... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom