Log for cycling my 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOG: Day 44 - Part II

So for grins I just tested at 4 hours after the WC and dosing.

Ammonia: .25-.50 ppm
Nitrites: off the charts
Nitrates: 20-40 ppm
pH: didn't test

That is hard core conversion

zparticle said:

Thats real hard core. Wow. Thats amazing

zparticle said:

Youll probally be done before Friday knock on wood

zparticle said:
Knocking as we speak. :) I just built the silliest little canopy for my 5 gallon betta tank. I need help.

Any pics? I just saw a thread where a guy made a cave and a hammock out of a coconut. It was really clever. He even carved the fishes name onto the shell, lol.

Any pics? I just saw a thread where a guy made a cave and a hammock out of a coconut. It was really clever. He even carved the fishes name onto the shell, lol.

Yeah I saw that thread, pretty trippy. No I didn't take any pic of this, it was pretty ridiculous. If I make a better one I'll post pics. :)

Right now I'm fighting the pain in my legs from what I think was a spider bite earlier. I'm really getting tired of being picked on by bugs.

Don't even mention spiders, lol. Here in VA you can turn over any rock in the yard and find a Black Widow. I mean, we're plagued by them in the summer.

In my Chi, I've got a lily pad ornament which my Betta likes to take naps on. It freaked me out the first couple times cause I'd walk into the kitchen and he'd be 3/4 out of the water. If that fish isn't building bubble nests...he's sleeping out of the tank, haha.

LOG: Day 45

Ammonia: didn't test I know it's gone
Nitrates: didn't test

Added a little more ammonia.

LOG: Day 46

Ammonia: didn't test I know it's gone
Nitrates: didn't test

You've done some pwc's so it's not as vital...but try to keep an eye on pH especially as you hit the last stages. pH crashes are super common when the no2 suddenly drops (which should be happening any day). It can happen suddenly and have a pretty negative impact if it happens. If you see the pH dropping, do as big of a pwc as needed to restore the same value as the tap water.

Well since I can't get fish yet (although I did add five new blood fin tetras to one of the other tanks yesterday :brows:) I decided to try ordering some plants online. Spent more than I intended to but oh well. :)

Product - Item # - Quantity - Price - Ext Price
Sagittaria subulata "Dwarf Subulata" -
GO:208939 - 5 - $0.94 - $4.70
Anubias barteri var. 'broad leaf' "Broad Leaf Barteri" - GO:208907 - 1 - $7.99 - $7.99
Sagittaria subulata - GO:208912 - 5 - $0.94 - $4.70
Egeria densa "Anacharis" - GO:208920 - 5 - $1.89 - $9.45
Micranthemum umbrosum "Baby Tears" - GO:208893 - 5 - $1.89 - $9.45
Eleocharis acicularis "Needle Spikerush" - GO:248303 - 3 - $1.89 - $5.67
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Wendtii" - GO:208866 - 2 - $2.99 - $5.98
Anubias barteri var. 'nana' - GO:208925 - 2 - $6.99 - $13.98

Well since I can't get fish yet (although I did add five new blood fin tetras to one of the other tanks yesterday :brows:) I decided to try ordering some plants online. Spent more than I intended to but oh well. :)

Product - Item # - Quantity - Price - Ext Price
Sagittaria subulata "Dwarf Subulata" -
GO:208939 - 5 - $0.94 - $4.70
Anubias barteri var. 'broad leaf' "Broad Leaf Barteri" - GO:208907 - 1 - $7.99 - $7.99
Sagittaria subulata - GO:208912 - 5 - $0.94 - $4.70
Egeria densa "Anacharis" - GO:208920 - 5 - $1.89 - $9.45
Micranthemum umbrosum "Baby Tears" - GO:208893 - 5 - $1.89 - $9.45
Eleocharis acicularis "Needle Spikerush" - GO:248303 - 3 - $1.89 - $5.67
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Wendtii" - GO:208866 - 2 - $2.99 - $5.98
Anubias barteri var. 'nana' - GO:208925 - 2 - $6.99 - $13.98

Where did you buy the plants, if I can ask? Looking for a good source myself.....

LOG: Day 47

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrates: 40-80ppm
pH: 7.4

Just picked up most of what I need to start cycling my second 75g. I'm going to try some different tactics on this one just to see what happens in the cycling process. I forgot to pick up a heater and I need to get a big piece of lexan to make the hood from, but I can get those later. I'm going to do a little time lapse film of me putting the tank together. Watch for another cycling log from me shortly. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom