Log for cycling my 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CRAP!!! I just found a big broken chip on one corner of my 55 tank. Inspecting it further it looks as if the seals are going to fail so I need to drain the thing before it collapses. I hope I can get it replaced at Petco I don't know if I can find the receipt.

This blows. :banghead:

Well that is frustrating as all get out. The tank is completely broken down and sitting in the back of my truck. I'll take it back into petco tomorrow and get a replacement.

I've bagged the sponge filter with some water and sealed the gravel into buckets. The filters in the nexx system should be okay since there is water in there surrounding them.

I glad there weren't fish in there and also that I noticed it before it actually failed, that would have sucked.

Man, that sucks :( Least, as you say, you noticed fairly early on and before you had fish in there. Hopefully you can get it taken care of tomorrow!

Yeah, sounds like a real bummer. TG the fish weren't in it yet. Hope PetCo gives you the refund/trade with no trouble.

That isn't cool...Sorry Scott. At least you found it in time. I am sure they have a record if your purchase even if you can't find the reciept...

That isn't cool...Sorry Scott. At least you found it in time. I am sure they have a record if your purchase even if you can't find the reciept...

Yeah I was able to find the purchase on my bank statement so I have that going for me. I'm glad it happened now I'm only a few days away from being past the 30 day return period.

Have a great trip with the wife. :)

LOG: Day 19

Took the tank back to Petco, had to get a little angry with them but they finally gave me a new tank and a new receipt. The new tank is all setup just like the old one so I'm off and running again. :dance:

Going to let the tank settle for a few hours and then put in some ammonia.

Ammonia: didn't test
Nitrites: didn't test
Nitrates: didn't test
pH: didn't test

Nitrites are ignoring you too, huh ;)

Hey if your ammonia is less than 4 when you dosed, that's good! It's dropping! Woo-hoo!

What are your plans for this tank (sorry if I missed it before)?

What are your plans for this tank (sorry if I missed it before)?

Well I was thinking about dwarf puffers (a lot, really wanted them), but it sounds like I couldn't really have any other fish in the tank. Then I thought I'd start with 2 rainbow sharks but apparently they get up to 6" long and I'm not sure I want fish that big. So now I'm thinking maybe some blue german rams and red gouramis to start. This will probably change as well. :) What ever it is it needs to show up well in the dark bluish theme of this tank so maybe something that is albino.

The thing is I really like schooling fish but I also want a "showcase" type of fish. I'm open to suggestions. :whistle:

Z, I've been enjoying reading your posts about your fishless cycling. It looks like you are moving right along. I've made so many mistakes with my tank it isn't even funny. But I'm hanging in there and am determined to figure this out.
I read about your tank breaking down and I'm so glad Petco gave you a new one . . . as they SHOULD have!
Good luck with your continuing fishless cycle! And thanks for sharing the BB loaded sponge from AngelsPlus.com I'm going to check that out.:fish1:

Well I was thinking about dwarf puffers (a lot, really wanted them), but it sounds like I couldn't really have any other fish in the tank. Then I thought I'd start with 2 rainbow sharks but apparently they get up to 6" long and I'm not sure I want fish that big. So now I'm thinking maybe some blue german rams and red gouramis to start. This will probably change as well. :) What ever it is it needs to show up well in the dark bluish theme of this tank so maybe something that is albino.

The thing is I really like schooling fish but I also want a "showcase" type of fish. I'm open to suggestions. :whistle:

Stocking is my weakest point so far, I just don't have the experience to even begin suggesting anything useful (still have no idea what I'd put in my 20 if it ever cycles :lol:), but you could try a Google Search for 55 gal stocking ideas and read some other posts and forums and maybe you'll see something you like.

Z, I've been enjoying reading your posts about your fishless cycling. It looks like you are moving right along. I've made so many mistakes with my tank it isn't even funny. But I'm hanging in there and am determined to figure this out.
I read about your tank breaking down and I'm so glad Petco gave you a new one . . . as they SHOULD have!
Good luck with your continuing fishless cycle! And thanks for sharing the BB loaded sponge from AngelsPlus.com I'm going to check that out.:fish1:

Thank you, and you are most welcome. :) Please remember, if you do get an AP sponge, that I've had wildly different experiences with the AP sponges. One was incredible in the 20g tank and this one for the 55g hasn't proved to be any where near as effective.

As for mistakes, I wouldn't worry about it, we have all made plenty of them. :angel: Live and learn. :D

Stocking is my weakest point so far

I'm right there with you, my problem is there are so many options it is a bit overwhelming. With the 20g I just went simple and cute with my choices. The used 75g already had some fish so that narrowed things down. This one is total open and I've learned a lot from the 20g so I'm a little confused. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you, and you are most welcome. :) Please remember, if you do get an AP sponge, that I've had wildly different experiences with the AP sponges. One was incredible in the 20g tank and this one for the 55g hasn't proved to be any where near as effective.

As for mistakes, I wouldn't worry about it, we have all made plenty of them. :angel: Live and learn. :D
Thank you Z!
:)

LOG: Day 21

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm
pH: didn't test

Dosing up the ammonia again. I'm getting the feeling this tank is going to be like the 75g. Ammonia goes away but I never see no2 and very little no3.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom