Logic and logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooo, I'll have to keep that in mind! And I wish there were more resources like that on this side of the mountains, the only way I'm ever able to do hobby stuff over there is if I'm already there for family or work.

I think the check valve in the return line is just too restrictive. The new pump works better, but not lots better. I think what I'll do is drill a little hole up on the first or second link in the loc line, instead. Then the pump will probably be too strong so I'll have to get a valve to restrict the flow down :facepalm:

I only use a check valve on one sump and it is because I am too lazy to repipe the return.
Properly set up and with the pin hole overflowing the sump from power failure should not happen..
I split all my loc lines into two and keep one of the two breaking the surface.

I only use a check valve on one sump and it is because I am too lazy to repipe the return.
Properly set up and with the pin hole overflowing the sump from power failure should not happen..
I split all my loc lines into two and keep one of the two breaking the surface.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking I'd do too. Better to have multiple options!

4HiJMN9.jpg

Trying my hand at a few houseplants out the top.

Even with the new pump I just am not quite happy with the flow. I’m thinking that it would be pretty easy (except for the cramped quarters behind the tank) to switch out the 1/2” tubing with 3/4” and to maybe put the sump on top of a cinderblock to reduce the head loss. Seems like a thing that would take 15 minutes and 15 dollars, right?

What pump are you running?
I do know my mag drives and my jeboa DCs both have higher flow rates with larger pipe.
I run 1 1/2 " hard pvc from my sump in basement to tank stand above in living room [The return I am too lazy to re pipe and remove 1 1/2 " check valve from]..
Hard turns like 90 degree angles count as 1' of head pressure .
I like the re enforced flexible lines with the strings in it as they don't pinch easy..

The old pump was a Danner Mag5 (but way old), new pump is a Rio 1700. Going off the chart it looked to be about right but I don't think it was meant for 1/2" line. With what I know now I would've gone with the next size up I think, but c'est le vie and whatnot, I think new tubing will help. I don't want LOTS of more flow... just a little bit... and then a little bit more... and then a little bit more... :)

I think thicker line would help.You are probably only getting in the 200GPH range as I ballpark tanks to be 5' high from floor.Then if you have 90s you are at 6'. The 1700 maxes out at 8'.

I think thicker line would help.You are probably only getting in the 200GPH range as I ballpark tanks to be 5' high from floor.Then if you have 90s you are at 6'. The 1700 maxes out at 8'.

I hooked up the thicker line and raised the sump with a cinder block. Now it’s rocking and rolling! Might need to get a gate valve to choke it down a bit!

So the nitrites just haven’t been going down. A little annoying. So I picked up a new bottle of seachem media and switched out a bag from the canister in the other tank and stuffed it in the sump. Apparently the old sponge from the other tank wasn’t cutting it. We’ll see how that works!

I keep thinking that I could expand the sump to have a little more room for media and heaters. Not sure how well you can see it in the picture up above but my heater has to be at pretty much as sideways as possible an angle and the water level has to be fairly high for it to be submerged enough. A 29 gallon tank should be able to fit under there though...

The 29g as a sump may give you the options you are looking for. Perhaps more mechanical filtration or something easily removed and serviced (filter socks, coarse and fine sponges). I like the idea that intact waste can be removed before breaking down; less total waste. Fewer or no bioballs; opting for denser, space saving biomedia.

Or room for the bio balls to kinda tumble around.

Ideally they are just for building BB colony not for catching muck and making a NitrAte production facility. One of the biggest issues with them I keep hearing. So filter the big crud out before that section.

That plants with tank from Vanish is a really nice job, though there were structural build and flow problems after awhile which needed addressing, it was nice to see how well house plants could add to the beauty and filter in a tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom