Lonely parrot cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mypippa1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100l tank which i keep mollies and guppies in and one small parrot cichlid cause a friend needed rid of him and he is full grown but still only small. Usually be just swims around and is good natured to the others but recently he has been hiding in a pot a lot and when he comes out he pecks at the filter and nips at the others if they get in his way. However when my balloon molly goes near him he just follows it and what occured to me is it most closely resembles him compared with the others. I dont know if the cichlid is male or female. Is he lonely or am i just personifying him? Should i buy another cichlid and risk it eating my guppies and mollies?Thanks appreciate any help

I know the parrot cichlid may be small but considering that fish will reach 8-10" that tank is really not ideal to keep the fish for any time, I'd consider rehoming the fish and looking for something that will stay under three inches. With regards his/her behavior even though they're near the lower end of the aggression scale they still have some pretty mean blood in their heritage which can ultimately lead towards issue with small tropical tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom