Looking at a new wet/dry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
My current wet/dry seems to be too small. I have two pumps, a protein skimmer, and a heater... the problem is that it's soo tight that everything vibrates off each other. It's driving me nuts.

It seems like my LFS either gave me something too small or something JUST right. They seem to do this with a lot of things... and it really bothers me. I've since learned to ask for all the options and not just the "recommended" on. Anyway... LOL.

I personally like Option 4 of this wet/dry:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&N=2004+22778

The dimensions are HUGE: 36" x 13-3/4" x 19"

However, it would easily sit under my 90G tank... and if I plan to upgrade, it would be perfect :)

The only drawback is that it's $260... is there anything cheaper out there that has the same or similar look?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

Money is only a figment of our imagination 8O
It looks real nice. I had one just like it but it had filter media in it. Big round wrap of something. No bio balls.

I went by my LFS just to my LFS to see what they had... just for kicks.

Currently I have the "125 Gallon" version of this:
http://www.bioreef.com/SEALIFE.htm

He said that I could upgrade to the 200 gallon version... for around $150. Sweet price.

However, I must admit that the MegaFlow one just looks a lot better. It's much, much larger for housing and I could probably even put a couple of liverocks in there.

I told him about the MegaFlow one and he didn't like the idea because the water on the MegaFlow comes down as a "waterfall" onto the filter pad, so it really wouldn't go over all the bioballs. While his system has water coming directly over the filter.

In my mind, with the MegaFlow the water comes over like a water fall and then fills up the filter pad chamber... and trickles over the bio balls... so his point is invalid.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do?

Any opinions?

I did notice that when I went to the MegaFlow website to view a picture of the Larger Wetdry, it had two "inputs" for water to come in.... which wouldn't work for my tank as I just have one.

I suppose a wet/dry is a wet/dry and I should just get the cheaper one, huh?

As far as the two inputs go couldn't you just get one of the rubber pvc pipe clamps from the LHS to cover the one input your not using. If the wetdry fits under your tank why not. And didn't you mention something about upgrading in the future. Larger tank would be nice to have dual inputs whether it be from a double overflow box or from being drilled to handle more water movement. Thats just my opinion though.

Why a W/D and not a sump? how much LR is in the tank?
If you do upgrade make sure it can fit though the doors on the stand. Right now Im setting up a 90 with a old 30 gal tank made into a sump/fuge and I had to take out the support and lower the sump in from the top. So if your tank is up and running you need to make sure it will fit in the front.

lemonheadmech - Good point there. I guess you're right in that it's really not that big of an issue.

seaham358 - I thought about a sump/refuge but really never followed through with it. I have about 120 lbs of live rock in the tank now and I have a large hang intank refugium in the works. The refugium will house some Mud, LS, LR, and some macros. I've debated going back and fourth... but right now I just don't have a huge push towards the sump/refugium. Is it really that much betteR?

The refugium part will really help as to remove excess nutrients. That`s very important

with that much LR you can toss the bio balls(if you still have them?), all they do is trap waste and become nitrate factories over time. You can then place one pump in the new empty space that you had the BB in. How about a pic...
I prefer the sump over the w/d, which are basicly the same thing except the supm has no BB and is set up for skimmer and pumps so there is plenty of room.
On my 55 I have a W/d converted into a sump, so look into that and save yourself some money.

Back
Top Bottom