Looking for a cool fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not dragon goby. Thing needs a 75g at least and is brackish.

Caleb

Wow, I just made myself look sooooo bad >.< I know nothing about dragon gobies except that they are peaceful and odd looking.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

If you want to do brackish, a single figure eight puffer should be fine. They are really aggressive and have lots of personality. IMO, they don't look very murderous, they look more like submarines, but looks can be deceiving,

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want to do brackish, a single figure eight puffer should be fine. They are really aggressive and have lots of personality. IMO, they don't look very murderous, they look more like submarines, but looks can be deceiving,

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not going to start a debate but I have done some more reading that found figure 8 puffers living their whole lives in freshwater in their natural habitat. Of course some went to brackish and even marine but there was some that stayed freshwater their whole life.

Even SeriouslyFish says they can live a healthy life in Freshwater, it's just more likely they will have a longer life if you add salt to a salinity of around 1.005 which would be considered a saltwater tank.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tetraodon-biocellatus/

Caleb

I'm not going to start a debate but I have done some more reading that found figure 8 puffers living their whole lives in freshwater in their natural habitat. Of course some went to brackish and even marine but there was some that stayed freshwater their whole life.

Even SeriouslyFish says they can live a healthy life in Freshwater, it's just more likely they will have a longer life if you add salt to a salinity of around 1.005 which would be considered a saltwater tank.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tetraodon-biocellatus/

Caleb

+1 My sons figure 8 puffer lives in full freshwater. Havent seen any issues with him because of it either. Its going on a year now. Cool lil fellas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Green spot puffers are the "freshwater" puffers that live in freshwater until they get about 4 inches. Then they live in brackish. After they reach 6-8 inches then they swim out to the sea and live in marine conditions until they perish.

Sent via TIE Fighter

A peacock eel would be neat but they do tend to burrow. Have you considered a red eye puffer. They stay pretty small but they can be aggressive.

Pea puffer species only tank!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Avocado puffer or amazon puffer would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So I should be looking at puffers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have the right footprint I'd be looking at the ambush puffers (personally) if you want to keep it freshwater. A long tank is necessary for any puffer though, otherwise you'll see almost constant glass surfing.

The Dragon (Palembang) puffer, Arrowhead and Hairy puffers are all great options. If you're looking for a tank with activity, these aren't for you though. They're going to resemble rocks most of the time and tank mates don't last long. They also can take considerable effort to teach them to take frozen foods. I'd recommend experience with other puffers prior to keeping these, but that's just my opinion. They come with a very high price tag, and can be challenge to find and keep.

The Avocado would be a great puffer. They're an active river puffer that have a streamlined body designed for speed. They are also species only, but will provide a more entertaining tank if you're new to puffers. Their teeth grow fast though, second only to the Amazon and will require lots if snails and hard shelled foods to keep them healthy.

The Amazon puffer should be left to the expert puffer keepers only. They have the fastest tooth growth rate, and will have to have it manually trimmed. 15 gallons minimum for 1, they prefer large groups of 5+ and contrary to popular belief, they don't do well in community tanks.

The Irrubesco puffer (Red Tail Red Eye) is an active species that like the aesthetic planted tanks, and can be kept in groups. I don't have experience with these, mostly because I've never had the chance to own any, but are stunning in the right tank.

If you make it a brackish tank, by the minium tank size rule you can keep two Figure 8s, but I prefer odd numbers and would try 3 to prevent one from getting bullied.

GSP's are one to every 30 gallons and will need full marine as adults. If you start a brackish tank I'd recommend the Figure 8s. They have awesome personalities, and I've seen some success with these and Bumblebee Gobies.

It's a 29 I think tall

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright I think I have the same tank. In the future if you could upgrade to a different tank with a better footprint, you should be fine.

The Avocado could still work, especially if you obtained a small one. I bought mine about the size of my fingernail and he has a 20 to himself as a grow out. I'd like to try 2 or 3 of these together in a planted 55 in the future.

I believe the Irrubesco's would still work in this tank, especially if you planted it or had lines to break up sight. I've seem them listed on Wet Spot Tropicals online sales fairly often if you're interested in them.

The Figure 8s are the most popular of these, which make them a better candidate for most people. I keep mine at an SG of 1.012 which is the high end of what they should live at. Freshwater and saltwater long term for these will shorten their lifespan, healthy they should go.. 10, 15 years I believe.

Of course you could also make it a dwarf puffer tank, and keep about 5 of them. Their size makes them a less popular option for larger tanks though.

A Dragon Goby looks mean it's Semi-Aggresive. They grow pretty long so once it gets bigger you'll probably need to move it to a 50gal or larger.

Back
Top Bottom