Looking for a really good cichlid book.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything by Ad Konings, of course take any advice in printed media with a grain of salt because that information can be quickly outdated.

Thanks guys. Ill definately pick up Aquarium Fished of the World. Looks like i can get it for less than $10. Both of the others by Dr. Axelrod look very handy to have around. Pretty expensive for the newer editions. Ill do some more hunting and see if i can find a good deal. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

The Dr. Axelrod book also included a common name index somewhere along the way, which is very helpful. While common name indexes are not perfect due to the occasional one to many relationship between latin names and common names, it's definitely a help for newer people in the hobby.

5x5 said:
The Dr. Axelrod book also included a common name index somewhere along the way, which is very helpful. While common name indexes are not perfect due to the occasional one to many relationship between latin names and common names, it's definitely a help for newer people in the hobby.

That would be really handy. How important do you think it is to get a new edition (or close to it)?

I also bought a couple of the older ones at a GCCA swap and they're close, the classicfications always seem to change, for instance some cichlasoma have changed to ex-cichlasoma and so forth until they can properly classify them. Either way I'd recommend anyone of them to start, I've been trying to build my library including all the editions.

HUKIT said:
I also bought a couple of the older ones at a GCCA swap and they're close, the classicfications always seem to change, for instance some cichlasoma have changed to ex-cichlasoma and so forth until they can properly classify them. Either way I'd recommend anyone of them to start, I've been trying to build my library including all the editions.

Good deal. ill most likely go with an older one to start.

I have picked-up a few great books on Cichlids on Amazon and Alibris.

As some have mentioned, some books are older but have excellent information. Here is a list of my Cichlid Books or great Freshwater Fish reference boks. My favorites have an asterisk:

The Proper Care of Malawi Cichlids- M.Sweeney(1993)

The Cichlid Aquarium-Dr. P.Loiselle(1985)

*The Cichlid Fishes Nature's Grand Experiment in Evolution- G.Barlow(2000)

**Handbook of Tropical Fishes- H.Axelrod, L.Schultz(1983)

Innes's Exotic Aquarium Fishes(1994)

*Dr.Axelrod's Mini-Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes-Dr.H.Axelrod(1995)

**mbuna Rock-Dwelling Cichlids of Lake Malawi, Africa- P.B.N Jackson, T.Ribnick(1975)

*African Cichlids of Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika- Dr.H.Axelrod, Dr.W.Burgess(1988)

A Fiskeepers Guide to African Cichlids-Dr.P.Loiselle(1988)

South American Cichlids-Dr.W.Leibel(1993)

If you want to learn about Cichlid behavior in the wild these are great books. The Handbook is a great scientific reference, and fin counts, etc.

I'm looking for a good cichlid reference as well - thanks for the titles above!

I'm looking mostly for set up help, what kind of fish can be stocked together, what to feed...

I've been reading a lot of the other posts, but it seems that many people (noobs like me), end up stocking a tank, and then other people tell them what they have done wrong, and then then try to correct their errors.

Would any of these books have a list of compatible species? I think that I have a 40g breeder tank (I got it used, but that's what others have told me, even though the math makes it to be about 50), and I want fish that are pretty and interesting to watch, that won't kill each other!

Thanks for any help!

Susan :fish2::fish2::fish2:

I'd recommend the Baensch/Mergus Aquarium Atlases ( TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL , link to Volume 1) as excellent genereral reference books. The first volume covers a wide variety of commonly offered cichlids as well as other families.

I know of very few books that offer compatibility "lists" as such. Yer best bet is likely to pick out species that interest ya and then post for recommendations on those combos.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom