Looking For Fishmates(Advice Wanted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys looking for advice for more fishmates to the current stock in my mom's 60gal. Right now we have 3 guppies, 4 angels, 1 pleco, and 1 blue knight lobster. My mom wants something with color." I did a little research and I have found the follow:
Redtail Shark
Bolivian Ram
Prehistoric Dragon Goby
Koi Angel
Bichir, Palmas

Obviously we don't want all of these, they are just the most interesting/colorful I could find that would possible do OK in the 60gal. If you have experience with any of these, please tell me your story.

dragon gobies are brackish fish so you can go ahead and strike that off your list. I also wouldn't put another angelfish in the tank. Angels do best in even numbers. You may have issues with the bichir and the lobster, since they both are semi-aggressive bottom-dwellers.
A pair of bolivian rams could work and would definitely be colorful.
Instead of a red tail shark you could do a rainbow shark. They aren't as territorial.
You could also think about a school of colorful tetras.

IME, red-tail sharks don't make a good community fish either, personally I would take that off the list. You might consider a school of tetras as mentioned above, I particullary enjoy the neons and the flame tetras, although both are pretty small for a tank with angels. You might think about adding some dwarf guaramis as well, there are some pretty colorful varieties of those out there.

I agree that angels do best in even numbers typically, and I think 6 would too many in a tank that size, so I think you would be better off with 4. Red-tailed sharks get aggressive. I agree that a rianbow shark would be a better option, but I do not have any experience with crustaceans like you have, so I am just going to skip recommending any other bottom dwellers like rams.
There are tons are pretty colorful tetras out there. Cardinals, black neons, rummy nose, von rio to name a few. Personally, I suggest tetras that reach at leat 2 inches and who are known fin nippers to be tankmates with angels. There are also honey gouramis, paradise fish, and pencilfish to name a few.:)
Also, just a heads up, is our pleco a common pleco? If so, do you have a differetn tank for him to go into someday?

I love paradise fish. My spiketail paradise fish (pretty rare, smaller variety) is one of my favorite fish. They have amazing personalities and are very colorful.
Gouramis would also be a good choice. I have a male pearl gourami with my angels and they get along great.
You could also look into some of the more peaceful barb species. I personally have a school of Odessa barbs with my angels, though others would work.

Hey guys looking for advice for more fishmates to the current stock in my mom's 60gal. Right now we have 3 guppies, 4 angels, 1 pleco, and 1 blue knight lobster. My mom wants something with color." I did a little research and I have found the follow:
Redtail Shark
Bolivian Ram
Prehistoric Dragon Goby
Koi Angel
Bichir, Palmas

Obviously we don't want all of these, they are just the most interesting/colorful I could find that would possible do OK in the 60gal. If you have experience with any of these, please tell me your story.

I'd say skip the Red-Tail shark ... IMO they shouldn't be in anything less than an 75gal due to their territorial aggression. A rainbow shark is a better option, but I don't know how it would get along with the lobster. Bolivian Rams I'd say are your best bet.

I wouldn't put any more cichlids in that tank... 2 pairs (if they're pairs) is probably going to be a battle in itself. You'll most likely have at least one pair anyways. I'd go with tetras... lemon, kerri, kitti,some of those... nice and colorful, peaceful, and would be plenty big for the angels

Back
Top Bottom