Looking to revamp my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you add your fish float them for about an hour removing a little of the bagged water at a time and adding a little tank water at a time to acclimatise them.

garfy said:
When you add your fish float them for about an hour removing a little of the bagged water at a time and adding a little tank water at a time to acclimatise them.

Gotcha. I'm getting some now from my buddy at the shop. He opened up for me. Where here now getting a bunch.

I'm like a kid in a candy store over here! This is awesome. He's giving me some rocks too. He said I should make a few caves or little places they can go and be alone.

Haha yea those colors are close. What hardy said is 100% true. Keep it consistent and you'll be fine DON'T put chemicals in to alter the ph.

He's also right I forgot about the different color schemes. Can't wait to see what you do. But remember don't put 10-15 mbunas in all at once otherwise you'll cycle all over and you don't want to be losing anymore hair Haha. Start with 6-8(a trios or foursome of 2 different species) and then build from there. They're fun little fish. My male kenyi loves to kiss the tank when my I put my finger on it. Ill grab a vid of my tank and show you if I can get him to do it on command.

NyteGTI said:
Haha yea those colors are close. What hardy said is 100% true. Keep it consistent and you'll be fine DON'T put chemicals in to alter the ph.

He's also right I forgot about the different color schemes. Can't wait to see what you do. But remember don't put 10-15 mbunas in all at once otherwise you'll cycle all over and you don't want to be losing anymore hair Haha. Start with 6-8(a trios or foursome of 2 different species) and then build from there. They're fun little fish. My male kenyi loves to kiss the tank when my I put my finger on it. Ill grab a vid of my tank and show you if I can get him to do it on command.

Yeah love to see the video. I'm not sure on species or specific names. He's going through the tanks now and picking fish. I'll post when I get home and after there in. Probably be late.

oo take pics of the store so i can see!!! Ill be up there soon to get some more :) tell your friend im probably looking at the CB zebras & red zebras if he's got them.

Last edited:
Ill have to look on my PC because pics on phone are too small. I see frontosa I think male kenyi(yellow stripes) and cobalt blue zebras

Nice you got some peacocks and mbuna in there. Did he have more of the peacock in the first pic? Love the coloring on him

NyteGTI said:
Nice you got some peacocks and mbuna in there. Did he have more of the peacock in the first pic? Love the coloring on him

The first set of pics was his personal tank in the store.

Thanks! I'm still researching all the types of Mduna's there are, there amazing. My tank is so ALIVE! :)

Thanks! I'm still researching all the types of Mduna's there are, there amazing. My tank is so ALIVE! :)
haha welcome man. have you done feeding time yet!

Also remember now you have to watch out for malawi bloat so don't over feed & don't feed igh protein foods since most of these guys are herbivores or omnivores

NyteGTI said:
haha welcome man. have you done feeding time yet!

Also remember now you have to watch out for malawi bloat so don't over feed & don't feed igh protein foods since most of these guys are herbivores or omnivores

Thanks brother! I didn't feed yet he told me to wait a day so gonna feed them later.

He gave me flakes, I still have pellets left. What's the best food to use? I wanna make sure I do everything right or at least try my hardest. How much to feed?

African cichlids love pellets.It is like a free for all in the top of the tank.Be careful not to overfeed I would suggest maybe 30 secs letting them eat as many pellets as they can.Algae wafers are good too.I've never fed mine flake only my fry get finely powdered flake.Start with feeding them once a day but as they get older and bigger every other day will be fine.If you will let them they will eat all day long as they are very greedy fish but this will make them fat and could kill them in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom