Lost 8 Rummy Noses :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got 10 Rummy Noses 3 days ago as part of the last group of fish I was planning to quarantine before completing my 55 GAL community.
Unfortunately in just a couple of days I lost 8 of them and I am afraid I will loose the last 2 as well :(
Not sure what is going on. Here are some facts: I had a 6 GAL QT tank for a few months by now. I used it to quarantine my new fish for a few weeks before introducing them to my 55 GAL with my other fish.
After a few waives of residents in the QT I decided to move everything (sand, decorations, fake plants) to my unused 10 GAL in preparation for a school of 10 Rummy Noses. I used approx 5 GAL of old water from the smaller tank and filled the other half of the 10 GAL with treated (PRIME) tap water. After bringing the Tetras home Thu evening and checking next day morning I realized that there were only 8 of them schooling, the 9th one was swimming a bit weird by himself and 10th one couldn't see. Same day towards the evening I realized that there were only 6 of them schooling and the others had died. Next day only 4 were schooling the other 2 had died. Today I only have 2 more left because I found 2 that died sometimes today :(
I a not sure what is going on, they don't have any exterior signs of disease or other unusual behavior besides those few I saw braking apart from the big school.
My water measures:
KH (2 drops) dKH 2 - ppm GH/KH 35.8
GH (7 drops) dKH 7 - ppm GH/KH 125.3
Please let me know what do you think is happening, I am devastated to loose so many gorgeous fish in such a short time.
Thanks a lot.

almcloud said:
Got 10 Rummy Noses 3 days ago as part of the last group of fish I was planning to quarantine before completing my 55 GAL community.
Unfortunately in just a couple of days I lost 8 of them and I am afraid I will loose the last 2 as well :(
Not sure what is going on. Here are some facts: I had a 6 GAL QT tank for a few months by now. I used it to quarantine my new fish for a few weeks before introducing them to my 55 GAL with my other fish.
After a few waives of residents in the QT I decided to move everything (sand, decorations, fake plants) to my unused 10 GAL in preparation for a school of 10 Rummy Noses. I used approx 5 GAL of old water from the smaller tank and filled the other half of the 10 GAL with treated (PRIME) tap water. After bringing the Tetras home Thu evening and checking next day morning I realized that there were only 8 of them schooling, the 9th one was swimming a bit weird by himself and 10th one couldn't see. Same day towards the evening I realized that there were only 6 of them schooling and the others had died. Next day only 4 were schooling the other 2 had died. Today I only have 2 more left because I found 2 that died sometimes today :(
I a not sure what is going on, they don't have any exterior signs of disease or other unusual behavior besides those few I saw braking apart from the big school.
My water measures:
KH (2 drops) dKH 2 - ppm GH/KH 35.8
GH (7 drops) dKH 7 - ppm GH/KH 125.3
Please let me know what do you think is happening, I am devastated to loose so many gorgeous fish in such a short time.
Thanks a lot.

Just sounds like poor stock I would let the store know maybe you can get replacements cause all your numbers look good nitrate is a little high but not quite toxic

Was the 10 gal you put them in cycled? Did they have any signs of disease?

Sorry, forgot to mention: besides using all elements from the cycled 6 gAl (sand, decorations, fake plants) I used 2 filters with bacteria (sponge and HOB style from 6 GAL) ... also added 3rd filter today (HOB w/out bacteria, new) ... so I guess I can say it is cycled, right?

almcloud said:
Sorry, forgot to mention: besides using all elements from the cycled 6 gAl (sand, decorations, fake plants) I used 2 filters with bacteria (sponge and HOB style from 6 GAL) ... also added 3rd filter today (HOB w/out bacteria, new) ... so I guess I can say it is cycled, right?

Well I would think that's good enough, especially since ur water parameters were good

Back
Top Bottom