Lost an Oto Cat... *sigh*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Nearly 2 weeks ago I picked up a pair of Oto Cats. I was having a moderate algae problem (which they worked wonders on). From the get go, one of the Oto's seemed to be having trouble... not swimming much, lethargic when it did swim, and clamped fins. But he was eating very well at the time and I hoped that he would improve (which he seemed to do).

In the meantime I read a fair bit on Oto health and discovered what you all know, that they are prone to health problems due to their method of capture, transport... etc. But I was hopeful.

Yesterday I couldn't find him easily in the tank. I located him down low, near the gravels' edge at the glass. He was very thin... sunken belly. This morning it was clear that he had shuffled off this mortal coil. RIP. (FYI, at all times the tank has been at 0/0/<5 for Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates. 25% pwc's weekly (though I had stepped up to 50% every other day due to one of my cherry barbs having an apparently infected dorsal fin).

The other Oto is still eating well and moves like lightning when he swims. He has shown none of the problems of his tank mate.

This really isn't so much of a question thread as my need to vent about losing a fish (which makes me feel guilty) and that the Oto Cats seem to have the odds stacked against them. The things I read about how they are captured and transported were, simply put, terrible.

So... I'm trying to decide whether I should replace this Oto or not. Not sure if I even want to bother with taking it back to the store for a credit... somehow that seems crass.

*sigh*

Well I am right there with ya. I got 4 otos 2 weeks ago, one died and I drove all the way back to saginaw (half hour drive to get there) to exchange it. I got home and another one was dead. So I decided not to make that trip over and over again, now a total of 3/5 have died. The remaining two are doing good it seems but you never know. I wonder why people do not try and breed otos captively?

Back
Top Bottom