Low ph high ammonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I was hoping to get some insight from you all as you have been the best in the past. I had a tank set up for almost 2 months now. Ammonia raised to .05 or vthe alert level on my seachem thing about 2 weeks ago. I started doing water changes daily or every other day and putting in ammonia lock the levels haven't really changed regarding ammonia I did recently find a bunch of waste hidden in the decorations when I pulled it out I have since cleaned everything really good. Tonight I noticed ammonia levels are still the same but Ph is low it's on the lowest reading on the ph Monitor. I did a water change immediatly and will see how things are in the morning. I just have a few questions. Everything I have read says to get rid of the ammonia first by doing a water change and then raising the ph. Should I stop doing the ammo lock entirely and just do changes. Also when I do the water changes dosent that also raise the ph. And ideas on how to get my tank up to proper operation are appreciated i have been trying to get from ammonia to nitrate /nitrites for ever there still reading 0 (according to the master test kit) . My little betta is a real fighter though he dosent act like anything is going on soon some a bit had a good appetite. Thank you guys and gals in advance you are all the best.

From experience going through this with fish in the tank I recommend using Seachem Prime. It's great

So quick update I got the prime you recomended and it is just amazing. In 24 hours Amonia has dropped dramatically. The ph is still low but from what I have read water changes will set it right. Thank you so much for help. My little guy thanks you too.

How do you perform water changes. What are you using to test your water?

Water changes I have a bucket that's just for dirty water and I purchased two of those jugs of water that pet stores sell i fill them up from the shower add some conditioner and let them sit for 24-48 hours. I have the master test kit that I use to test water I have only tested the shower water for ph and Amonia. But I have tested the aquarium water for everything. I also have the seachem Amonia and ph monitors in the tank.

Okay good! Just make sure you're not actually vacuuming the gravel because the cycle will never continue into the next step. Hope everything works out.

Thank I super appreciate your advice it's turned my whole tank around in one day

No problem! Glad I can help. This site is very helpful so ask away! And don't forget to post pictures of your little fishies!

Back
Top Bottom