Low PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have gotten my ammonia under control but my PH had been stuck at 6.4 for the last two weeks. Is this acceptable?

Actually when ph falls below 6.5 beneficial bacteria begin to slow down and a ph under 6 bb will stop working entirely. What size is your tank? I can tell you how to add a bit of baking soda to add buffers back into the tank once I know it's size.

Actually when ph falls below 6.5 beneficial bacteria begin to slow down and a ph under 6 bb will stop working entirely. What size is your tank? I can tell you how to add a bit of baking soda to add buffers back into the tank once I know it's size.

20 gallon

A couple things first. Have you tested your tap water for ph, kh, and gh by chance? Kh measures the amount of calcium which is the buffer in your tank and keeps ph stable. It's good to know what those numbers are. I test for my kh and gh weekly and as long as they are both 4 I don't worry about my ph, which I test monthly.

Anyway with such a small tank you need to add 1/8th of a teaspoon of baking soda, premix in a cup of tank water. Add to the tank and either take you tank ph reading in a couple hours or tomorrow. If the ph is still too low then add another 1/8th teaspoon. Wait a couple hours and test. You have to raise the ph/kh slowly which is why you only add a small amount daily. If you continue to have a low ph problem you might want to get some crushed coral, put a small amount in a media bag and either place it in your filter or hang under the outflow of your filter. You might have to add more CC as needed until you get the proper amount to keep your water buffered.

I have never tested my tap water. I will have to look into that. Thank you for the suggestions. Where would I buy crushed coral?

Most fish stores carry it especially if they have saltwater fish or African cichlids. But don't waste your money and buy the CC until you see if you actually need it.

Back
Top Bottom