Macro Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will Halimeda and Maiden's Hair Plant/Turtle Grass(Chlorodesmis sp) lower phosphate levels and reduce micro algae in my reef tank?

Im planning on getting some marine plants for my reef tank, because I would like to eliminate all this crappy micro algae Im getting and these are the only two plants available to me right now.

Thanks

The Turtle Grass might help a little...I'm sure it will remove some nutrients from the water. I don't think the Halimeda is going to though. It will mostly remove calcium . How old is your tank? Are you using RO/DI water?

Tank is about 7 monthes, and unfortunatly i have been using distilled water :?
What are some other good plants to get to lower nutrient levels? What would I want if I were to setup a refugium?

I don't think the Halimeda is going to though. It will mostly remove calcium .

I found halimeda to be an excellent macro for the fuge. Sure it does use CA, but it removes nutrients the same as other algaes ;) Another macro that I like is Chaetomorph.

reefrunner69 said:
I found halimeda to be an excellent macro for the fuge. Sure it does use CA, but it removes nutrients the same as other algaes ;) Another macro that I like is Chaetomorph.

Cool...I was under the impression that it mostly used CA and didn't really take in much else. Good to know that it does. It also doesn't go sexual like caulerpa...correct? I know it's growth rate is a good indicator of adequate calcium levels.

It also doesn't go sexual like caulerpa...correct?

According to Fenner and Calfo's book, it can, IME, it does not do so easily, I have never had it go sexual.

What does it mean for a plant to go sexual?

Basically the macro grows and grows at such an alarming rate it goes into a reproductive stage where it releases all it's spores into the water, along with all the toxins it has taken up. Caulerpa goes sexual rather easily and has been the cause of more than one tank crash. The toxins are well toxic and the spores will use up alot of available o2.

I understand that if you keep lights on your calurpa 24/7 and prune often that it will not go sexual. Is that a hopeful myth from calurpa harvesters or is there any truth to it?

I've read the same, and also read peoples post that do that and ther caulerpa still went sexual. I have also read Randy Farley say that addition of iron can prevent it from going sexual.

Back
Top Bottom