Maingano swimming near surface, is it sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suite113

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently added cichlids to my 165L tank (aprox. 40g) I think. It was an established tank that has only had a bristlenosed catfish in it for the last couple of years. I've never had cichlids before but bought the following on advice from the lady the shop. There are 12 cichlids in total 2 peacocks (one male & female), 2 electric yellows, 2 cobalt blues, 2 demasoni, 2 maingano, 2 pulu point red zebra & the bristlenose.

They've been in there for nearly two months without any problems. I've got quite a few pieces of rock in there with what I think is plenty of hiding holes. I'm not sure whether it's sick or just being picked on.

Today I've noticed that the smallest maingano has been swimming quite frequently at the surface behind the water inlet. Sometimes it looks like its almost floating on its side but when I take a closer look it swims away.

All of the other fish seem to be fine. The other day I saw the peacocks 'dancing' around each other which I assume was a mating ritual (this is my first time with cichlids) which I would assume they would only do if they were happy & healthy.

Could it be that it is just being picked on? Do I have too many fish in the tank?

I'm doing a 1/4 change each week and also adding salt equivalent to the water replaced.

I'm also unsure of the water parameters that I currently have but have been going on the info in the leaflet that came with the test strips.

Water parameters are
Gh ppm (mg/L) 180
Kh ppm (mg/L) 240
Ph 7.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

Would love any advice or thoughts especially on anything I'm dong wrong.

Could be getting picked on.

A 40 gallon isn't really big enough for the fish your keeping.Not enough footprint for territories.Also I notice Youve mixed mbuna with peacocks.In a 40 gallon I see this ending in problems for the peacocksThat mixture can and does work in a larger tank.Id say 75 gallons plus but in a 40 gallon there will be "nowhere to hide"
Your parameters seem fine.Would be nice to see the Nitrates below 20ppm but its not health affecting for African cichlids.What is your Ammonia reading?Is the Maingano a female.Hiding can be a sign of holding or bullying.

I'm not sure of the ammonia reading, I'm only using 5 in 1 test strips which don't have that reading. Was looking at getting a proper test kit so I guess I'll do that.

I'm not sure what you would call the filtration - its part of the tank above the water but behind the lid. It's a store bought aqua one 850. I'm also not sure whether it's a female or not. How do you tell the difference?

How do I bring the nitrates down?

Sounds like a gang on filter.
If she's a she and she's holding her mouth will appear swollen.
You lower your nitrates by doing more frequent or larger water changes.I do one 50% water change a week and my nitrates stay at around 12.5 ppm

Your filtration is very important with Malawi cichlids.They are boisterous and create quite a bioload.I would recommend 5 times your tank volume turnover per hour.

When you say 'holding' you mean eggs? Is there an easy way to tell the difference between male & female other than venting?

'she' does seem to have a bulge under her mouth and she seems to be not opening her mouth much at all. I haven't seen her eat today either.

Should I do a 50% change as well as a 25% or maybe do two 25% changes a week?

Are all the others except the two peacocks mbunas? If I add more rocks in the meantime will it help until I get a larger tank?

My two peacocks are my favourite.

Also one of my cobalts seem to be paler than the other. Is this because it may be an inferior male or even a female?

Thanks for your help :)

I've just checked the filter and it says powerboat 770 with 1000l/h. Tank is 165L so 5x that is 825 - so I'm assuming it's sufficient or should I get a larger power head? Would I be better off with an undergravel filter?

Yes I mean holding eggs and if she is holding eggs she won't eat at all for 20- 30 days until she spits out the babies.
Your filtration is fine for your tank.i wouldn't do under gravel because cichlids like to dig and expose the under gravel filter compromising its performance.

You can either do one 50% or two 25% changes a week.Its up to you but you don't need both.
As for your cobalts it could be just a case of natural colour difference or one being more dominant than the other.
With dimorphic species telling sex is easy but if the males and females are the same colour only venting or behaviour will tell you.

Adding more rocks may help but ultimately you will just be taking away swimming space.You can't substitute actual tank footprint with more hidey holes.

Back
Top Bottom