Making a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cburns70 said:
About QuikSand Fluidized Bed Filters

Pretty good explanation there.

Most wholesalers hours arent convenient for me. But yeah you're right, they're normally cheaper and have a much better selection.

Would it be similar to a bio wheel? With the way it was being described that was what came to mind. If so how would you configure that into the set up you already have? Or are you thinking of breaking down your current set up to do this?

Would it be similar to a bio wheel? With the way it was being described that was what came to mind. If so how would you configure that into the set up you already have? Or are you thinking of breaking down your current set up to do this?

Think of a bucket, half filled with sand, with the water entering the bottom and working its way up to the top. The Sand becomes fluidized (like quicksand) and that creates a massive bio filter.

I can take my last canister fill it about half way with sand and reverse the water flow. The water would then enter through the pvc pipe in the center and exit at the bottom. The water would works its way through the sand and up to the top of the canister and then out.

The trick is getting the water to flow at the correct rate so it doesn't push the sand out.

Picture time! Here's some different views of my Tank. The pump is the right hand corner (facing the front). I've "disguised" it with some fake plants.

34681-albums3006-picture19592.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19593.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19594.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19602.jpg

34681-albums3006-picture19603.jpg

Your tank is incredible!! Makes me want to do more with mine lol! Thank you for sharing :)
The fluidized canister really makes sense once you put it in the "bucket" scenario for me. It'd probably be the closest you can get to the natural way of filtration. Reminds me of the beach and how the water rolls through the sand taking and leaving what it needs. What if you put a coupling in the tube inside the canister that makes it removable and insert a small sponge to avoid the sand from being forced out? The water will still flow but the sand won't get through?

Thank you.

I havent quite figured out yet to keep the sand in yet. I beleive its all in how much water your pushing through.

I've got an extra canister and pump I'm going to play with.

cburns70 said:
Thank you.

I havent quite figured out yet to keep the sand in yet. I beleive its all in how much water your pushing through.

I've got an extra canister and pump I'm going to play with.

I'd try a nylon (ladies stocking) over the top of the canister (under the ring) and put a sponge inside the tube you're using inside the canister?

just a quick question for cburns70, what type of pump and how many gph is your in tank pump and how do you keep it from consuming tank inhabitants?

just a quick question for cburns70, what type of pump and how many gph is your in tank pump and how do you keep it from consuming tank inhabitants?

Danner Supreme Mag Drive rated at 950GPH. The actual output is around 300Gph.

There's a sponge filter on the intake.

Hi there. I have been doing some research also on making a filter. I have read through the posts here trying to work out what I need. I will be using an old pool cartridge filter (pump and cartridge removed). I think it's perfect as its already water tight and hoses will attach easy. As for the pump, I have a submersible bilge pump (meant for pumping water out of a boat). It's rated at 1100 GPH. I'm not sure if that pump is ok as i doubt it is designed to run constantly and I'm also thinking that it will be too strong. I don't know how many gallons my tank is as I don't have it yet but it will be 6 foot long.
Do I need any valves gauges etc? Should the water be filtered from top to bottom or the other way around?
Any help would be appreciated :)

rhonda0173 said:
Hi there. I have been doing some research also on making a filter. I have read through the posts here trying to work out what I need. I will be using an old pool cartridge filter (pump and cartridge removed). I think it's perfect as its already water tight and hoses will attach easy. As for the pump, I have a submersible bilge pump (meant for pumping water out of a boat). It's rated at 1100 GPH. I'm not sure if that pump is ok as i doubt it is designed to run constantly and I'm also thinking that it will be too strong. I don't know how many gallons my tank is as I don't have it yet but it will be 6 foot long.
Do I need any valves gauges etc? Should the water be filtered from top to bottom or the other way around?
Any help would be appreciated :)

I think when you're making a custom filter it's really up to you as to how you want to run it. From what I found out from talking and researching like crazy with mine. It depends on a couple things first you need to figure out how large your tank is and what kind of fish you'll have as inhabitants. With mine I have an 80 gallon tank that I plan to house discus so I geared my entire design around being able to filter the water calmly, constantly but loaded my canisters with more bio based filters. I found if I worked in steps it made it easier to figure out. The guys on here are FANTASTIC at helping out, and I'll try my best too. :)

I currently have a 2 foot (approx 17G) tank with 7 comets in it. Since reading a heap of stuff on here I realised that I have too many in there. Although they have been happy in there for over 4 years with no deaths or illnesses, I do want to provide them with a bigger home. So I'm guessing that the new tank will be approx 50 G. I'm now thinking of not using the bilge pump as its not designed for aquarium use and it could harm them. So I think maybe 2 power head units. One one each end of the tank. Would you have any idea on how powerful I need them to be?

I haven't got a lot of experience with power heads, sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in who does??

I have changed my design. No longer going to use power heads. Going with an inline pump instead. Fingers crossed it all works out. I've never done anything like this before.

Lol! My design changed numerous times as well. Funny thing, it was still being changed even as I was glueing the pipe. Now that I have it running I'm already thinking of ways to make it better.

It's great to see I'm not the only one who recycles "junk" from necessity! I made my own plants w/dab o'concrete as a base and cut sections of pantyhose tied on both ends for the charcoal within a soft net bag from fruit in the filter. It fits inside the cannister but I'd like to make something a little less ghetto-looking tho! LOL

I know that was a long read on an old thread but I thought it best to post here so the set up I'm referring to is right there in the thread already. Instead of trying to explain it again and waste space taking more pictures.
My pump on this tank has been nothing but issues. I'm on my last leg, I've lost numerous fish due to air locks, gravel stuck in the propellor and one pump motor just crapping out.
Is there anyone who has an idea on how I could improve this set up? Without having to change the entire thing? Working with zero for budget here.

Here's my DIY Canister filter! About 3 foot tall runs my 100 gallon saltwater tank! I have a 800 gph pump that runs it!!

Is your pump submersible? Mine isn't so I'm limited there. I've swapped out the intake set up on it so far. I took the original pipe and capped the end after drilling holes all around it and sleeved it with a huge sponge. I'm hoping that will help eliminate the gravel being sucked up.

Back
Top Bottom