Malawi Shell Dwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last GCCA swap here in chicago someone donated these guys to the silent auction. They were labeled as Malawi Shell Dweller, which instantly had my attention. So I bid and kept a watchful eye and no one else bid.... So I won five of them for $3!!! Well that day I bought a bunch of fish and put the dwellers into my show tank and they did just fine with the big boys in there, but my plan for my 36 gallon didn't work out so I transformed it into a "tanganyikan" tank.

But I decided to put these guys in the 36 and see how they did without the bigger peacocks and mbuna from my mixed 125 gallon, so I guess its not truly a tang tank since the shellies are Malawian. I was unsure of taking them out since I confused them with Metriaclima Lanisticola which grow bigger but are also known as malawi shell dweller. The pictures weren't matching though so I kept looking.

Turns out they are the rarer Maylandia Livingstonii! I tried to find info on these guys but they are not very popular and a lot of the info is not good. Many people say they are the same as the lanisticola but they look totally different. Finally found some sources and these guys are awesome. The max out at around 2.5" and do inhabit shells. Their dorsal fin at the right angel lights up yellow like a highlighter. From my understanding this helps tell others that the shell is occupied. Their behavior is very interesting they are very active but not aggressive to tankmates at all and pretty tolerant of each other too. They love the shells but do not stick to them like tanganyikans do, they have no problem exploring the open water or hanging in the rocks. Also they are not diggers like the tang cousins, not a single grain of sand has been moved around.

Tank is at 80 degrees, ph 8.0, feeding no problem on 1mm Thera A, so far these guys are making a promising start to one of my favorite cichlids.

Attachments

• Shellie1.jpg
    Shellie1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 136
  • shellie2.jpg
    shellie2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 132
  • shellie3.jpg
    shellie3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Shellie4.jpg
    Shellie4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 136
Awesome score! Can you tell male from female.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not really, theres two that look smaller and few that aren't as colorful but I'm sure of their sex yet. I should have checked their vents when I caught them out. But their tank is set up all nice and I dont want to take it all out to catch them and vent them.

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 127
They are awesome, I can see the tank from my couch so I am always starring off at the tank watching them. Great personalities, might have to try to breed them

Nice score I haven't seen these fish in years and by far nicer than lansticola imo. The lava rock should have no effect on your ph it's an inert stone, the shells will help but if you want a consistent ph at a higher level try holey rock or another type of limestone.

What a cool fish. I was unaware that Malawi shell dwellers even existed! If they are anything like Tang shell dwellers (and I have no idea, obviously), you may want to consider adding more shells.

I have more shells in there than the picture shows, they go all the way to the back of the tank through the middle. However their behavior is quite odd. They definitely like the shells but fight over the driftwood and not anything else. Also they leave their other tank mates alone and they are not to aggressive to each other just a quick chase and its over then they all regroup and are friends. I'm still figuring these guys out since you can imagine there isn't much on these! So far I'm loving them. I will take a video of them, since they are to active for good photos and the pictures don't do them justice. That yellow dorsal is amazing....

What a cool fish. I was unaware that Malawi shell dwellers even existed! If they are anything like Tang shell dwellers (and I have no idea, obviously), you may want to consider adding more shells.

The shells are mostly utilized by fry and young fish, as they grow they start to behave like Mbuna taking to the rocks for shelter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine are near full grown, I hope they breed. The only leave the shells cause they can't fit anymore. My shells are bigger than apple snail shells so I think they will stay.

The shells are mostly utilized by fry and young fish, as they grow they start to behave like Mbuna taking to the rocks for shelter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

My Lfs must have some like yours, I was asking about them yesterday and they snapped "NFS"... Breeding only.. Made me want them even more..

Yah.. They have 3 tanks with 2 pairs in each.. I'll go play some Barry white and wait for the babies! I'll get some pics tom, they're a little more light blue than yours and the horizontal lines are not as pronounced..

Back
Top Bottom