Malaysian DW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a piece of MDW from Petland the company is Zilla it says good for Aquarium... How do i go about preping it.. The instruction says wash but arent i suppose to boil it and how long for?? Step by step instructions please ima little slow o_0

You shouldn't need to boil it. It should be prepped by Zilla. If it releases a lot of tannins and you don't like it, then you can boil or soak. Purely aesthetic though.

o dpnt want tannins is there a certain amount of time i gotta let it boil for if so how long ima do that tomorrow

No set length of time to boil it.

But you need to know that no matter how much you boil it, the driftwood WILL release tannins into the water. There is no such thing as driftwood that doesn't. However, the larger amount is released during the first few weeks.

So you can boil the wood for maybe 3-4 hours, and then get one of those big 5 gallon buckets and just soak the wood in that. Check the water everyday and when the water looks discolored, dump it out and replace it with new water. Once you get to the point where the wood can sit in there for a week or more without significant discoloration to the water, it is ready to put in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom