Male and female JD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a plant or lighting guy at all. My knowledge on bulbs and lights are very limited. I have one tank with live plants and only cause the plants came with the tank.

I just couldn't pass up the deal and 2-2 bulb fixture was pretty cramped I had to move them just to open my lid to feed the fish lol

Well the eggs are gone and I can't find any fry

The fry can often be hard to find, but in all likelihood try eggs were probably eaten by the parents. It usually takes about 5-7 days for them to hatch and usually they would stay right around the same spot the eggs were laid until they were free swimmers.

The fry can often be hard to find, but in all likelihood try eggs were probably eaten by the parents. It usually takes about 5-7 days for them to hatch and usually they would stay right around the same spot the eggs were laid until they were free swimmers.

Why would they eat the eggs?

Honestly they did not look fertilized to me atleast with my convicts eggs u would not have been able to really see them on that wood they would have been almost the same color

Honestly they did not look fertilized to me atleast with my convicts eggs u would not have been able to really see them on that wood they would have been almost the same color

They started to look really dark then a few days later they were gone

Well they might be in ur substrate then my cons disappeared for a week before I could find a wriggler

Often first time spawners will eat them strictly cause they don't know any better. Also, if they are not fertilized, they see them as food.

Well maybe they'll get the hang of it the male was picking on the female today but since she has a 55 gallon with lots of hiding places I'm hoping shell be alright

Well maybe they'll get the hang of it the male was picking on the female today but since she has a 55 gallon with lots of hiding places I'm hoping shell be alright

Keep an eye out. If he gets too rough go to Home Depot and get some light diverter for ceiling fluorescent lights and make a divider.

Keep an eye out. If he gets too rough go to Home Depot and get some light diverter for ceiling fluorescent lights and make a divider.
They've been hanging out around where the eggs used to be so maybe they hatched guess ill find out soon enough

Iv heard a good way to stimulate the next spawn. Is place a mirror so the male can see his reflection it gets him worked up. Which in turn gets the female worked up. I'v never done it myself but seen a few YouTube vids on it.

Last edited:
I've used mirrors before and although they do work sometimes, my mean sob of a male spends the whole time fighting with the mirror. The best method I have found is water changes of 50% every week and live food every once in a while. The water used for the changes should be cooler than the tank water. For me this works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom