Mama Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mama is still just as big as ever. Water conditions are good. Temp is up a degree! Lots of black near anal area. Anytime now! I'm an impatient mom to be lol
I know, it seems to take forever when your waiting. It's like waiting for paint to dry..haha. When they finally arrive, I hope i'm invited to the christening party!!!!

My BIG guppy mamma!!!!! She's due tonight....

Attachments

• DSCF7446~1.jpg
    DSCF7446~1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF7454~1.jpg
    DSCF7454~1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 36
Good to know. I've had the light on all day...turning off now. Anything else I can do for her?

My mommy guppy had her babies! She had 40 of them! I can't believe it. My Molly is still not giving birth. I let her out of the breeder box and figure if she has babies ill just have to find them...she's been in there for two weeks and nothing

My mommy guppy had her babies! She had 40 of them! I can't believe it. My Molly is still not giving birth. I let her out of the breeder box and figure if she has babies ill just have to find them...she's been in there for two weeks and nothing
At last:dance::dance:. At least you'll have something to occupy yourself, while your waiting on the molly. She'll have them before you know it. Maybe the molly was holding the fry while she was in the trap. You'll be over run with fry!!!!. What's the plan for the fry, where are you going to raise them???

Well my original Molly fry (3 weeks old) are being sold Saturday. My guppy fry are in the plastic container until they get big enough. I like for them to he in a small place so I can make sure they get the proper nutrition. Once they get a little bigger I have a 20 gallon nursery tank. After that I sell them to a local pet store. I have the Molly in the community tank...if she decides to drop that is her choice...if she is even pregnant. Some of the fry will be fed to my piranhas though

Well my original Molly fry (3 weeks old) are being sold Saturday. My guppy fry are in the plastic container until they get big enough. I like for them to he in a small place so I can make sure they get the proper nutrition. Once they get a little bigger I have a 20 gallon nursery tank. After that I sell them to a local pet store. I have the Molly in the community tank...if she decides to drop that is her choice...if she is even pregnant. Some of the fry will be fed to my piranhas though
Have you got a filter and heater in the container???

No...it's one of the ones you put on the outside of the tank with an air pump...is that not ok??

I've been reading online that I need to destroy the fry that are deformed. How do I tell?

No...it's one of the ones you put on the outside of the tank with an air pump...is that not ok??
No, those are grand. I thought you just put them in a food type container!!!

I've been reading online that I need to destroy the fry that are deformed. How do I tell?
I would wait a couple of weeks. I had a fry a few weeks ago that I thought was deformed. He/she had a bent spine. I noticed it as soon as it was born. I can't see him/her in the fry tank anymore, so it either died or it's ok now. I'm sure it's ok now because i didn't lose any fry from that batch. I'm sure because i'm checking that tank numerous times a day.....
To destroy or cull the fry or any sick fish. Get a bowl, some ice(crushed if possible) and fill it with some cold water and add the ice. Put the fish in it and it will cull the fish instantly.....

Ok. I don't think I am going to right away though...I have always fought for underdogs and ill give them a chance. When should I move them out of that container?

Ok. I don't think I am going to right away though...I have always fought for underdogs and ill give them a chance. When should I move them out of that container?
No I would even think about culling for at least 3-4wks. I'm like you also, I love the underdog. People do it because if they bred, it usually spread the deformity onto the fry. I personally don't agree with it but that's just me...
It will be at the very least 6wk imo, it could be even longer. I have 6wk old guppy fry and I wouldn't even consider it at the moment...
Hakari First Bites is a great food or Repashy Gel Food(community variety) is also another great food. They need to be fed 4 times a day and it might be a good idea to turn off the airstone when feeding. It lets the food float better and gives the fry time to eat. They probably won't eat for a day or two so don't panic. If you look closely, they seem to have a tiny red sack on their belly. I could be wrong but I think this might be a source of food for them for the first few days.....

I have first bites. I've fed them this and they are actually eating. I thought it was crazy but they loved it already. This fry seem much "stronger" than the Molly fry I raised. When can you "sex" them?

I have first bites. I've fed them this and they are actually eating. I thought it was crazy but they loved it already. This fry seem much "stronger" than the Molly fry I raised. When can you "sex" them?
Patience my dear, it's not even worth thinking about sexing them until at LEAST 3 months!!!. The males don't grow their gonopodium(male organ) until then, so they will all look like females until then. Yeah I find that fry food brilliant. I only started using it recently and have noticed that the fry grow quicker and more colourful quicker......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom