Marine4Life FOWLR thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marine4life said:
Can i add PurpleUp to my system now or shall wait till the tank is fully cycled?

Just give it awhile...., it'll come by its own,...let everything progress naturally ,...it takes a marine tank a long time to get everything stabilized and working together...months and months and months,.... Patience ,patience,patience..

Last edited:
Dary421 said:
Just give it awhile...., it'll come by its own,...let everything progress naturally ,...it takes a marine tank a long time to get everything stabilized and working together...months and months and months,.... Patience ,patience,patience..

Thanx sir for the advice. Guess i will flog it on eBay lol.

I honestly can't recommend using tap water if at all possible. BUT if you are using it then I would add a dechlorinator and the salt and let it sit for at least a few hours before using it. If you are using regular water for top offs with no salt then just add the dechlorinator before using it.

Carey i always use conditioner for my fishroom so i order like 5litre jars all the time. Have you ever tested your tap water? I just want to know is everyones tap water reading is like zero.

I have phosphates and a tiny amount of nitrates in my tap water. Reason I don't use it for my tanks. lol

In the long run yeah you are. I started with tap water on my first tank and it was a nightmare. Took months of water changes with the pure water to finally make a dent in the phosphates.

There is a group buy going on now with someone on the forum for bulk reef supply but I will be doing another group buy at the end of the month if you are interested in getting on.

Hey Marine,
If your still cycling, you don't want to start skimming. Its not necessary.
When you add your fish, you can start skimming. At that point, you will be adding food and fish waste to the system, and the skimmer will help remove some of these organics from the water column. Less raw organics in the water, less nitrates can be produced.
Good luck!

I've always run my skimmer when i first start a tank. It generally takes a week or two for the skimmer to break in so why not kill two birds with one stone?
lol

+1, i dont see the harm in letting the skimmer break in while the cycle is going on. It should have no effect on the cycle.

spoonman said:
+1, i dont see the harm in letting the skimmer break in while the cycle is going on. It should have no effect on the cycle.

I didn't say there was any harm in it, just said it wasn't necessary.

And what exactly is it doing, if there is nothing to skim?

If the tank is properly stocked, slowly, There is plenty of time for the skimmer to break in, while the tank has a fish or 2 at best. At this point there is also something to actually skim.

Back
Top Bottom