Marine4Life FOWLR thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, 37 TDS's out the tap is actually really good. TDS's will not dissipate by holding water. It must be filtered out with an RO/DI unit.
In Florida ( swamp water, mind you) tap usually runs in the 200-300+ range!

Flreefer said:
Wow, 37 TDS's out the tap is actually really good. TDS's will not dissipate by holding water. It must be filtered out with an RO/DI unit.
In Florida ( swamp water, mind you) tap usually runs in the 200-300+ range!

As everyone knows manchester england has a very good water.

My mate do you think it would effect me too much if i use tap water without rodi but will hold the water for 48hrs.

Tds will not go away by just holding the water for 48 hrs. Although your water is pretty good, I feel eventually it could cause problems. Mainly because you don't know what those dissolved solids are. It could be something detrimental to an aquarium like phosphates, nitrates, or metals.

Flreefer said:
Tds will not go away by just holding the water for 48 hrs. Although your water is pretty good, I feel eventually it could cause problems. Mainly because you don't know what those dissolved solids are. It could be something detrimental to an aquarium like phosphates, nitrates, or metals.

+1. Wouldn't risk it

Flreefer said:

Dont know about metal but no nitrates.

I think in a FOWLR system, the amount of in- tank circulation would be dictated by what types of fish you have. Some fish, like Tangs, Anthias and Butterflies like higher flow, whereas others prefer it a little more subdued.
I'm not sure of the exact litre to gallon conversions, but that seems like relatively high flow. Approx. 30 times tank volume.
Hope this helps!

Flreefer said:
I think in a FOWLR system, the amount of in- tank circulation would be dictated by what types of fish you have. Some fish, like Tangs, Anthias and Butterflies like higher flow, whereas others prefer it a little more subdued.
I'm not sure of the exact litre to gallon conversions, but that seems like relatively high flow. Approx. 30 times tank volume.
Hope this helps!

My intention to have tangs, butterflies, trigger, angels and gobys do you think that flow wont stress them? Whats FOWLR tanks average flow times?

I'm really not sure, but IMO I think that would be fine for that stock. Except possibly the Gobies, but they are typically bottom-dwellers and hiders, where the flow would be less. If it seems too much, you could always remove one of the power heads.

Flreefer said:
I'm really not sure, but IMO I think that would be fine for that stock. Except possibly the Gobies, but they are typically bottom-dwellers and hiders, where the flow would be less. If it seems too much, you could always remove one of the power heads.

I guess as you said i can always remove one of the wave makers. Its just i'm worried that if its not enough movement lol.

Seems like that would be enough to me, and if not, you could just add another down the road.
Best of luck! :)

Marine4life said:
I guess as you said i can always remove one of the wave makers. Its just i'm worried that if its not enough movement lol.

You'd be amazed at how much water movement you probably have. Aim one at the top of the water level for surface breakage on one side of the tank. One the same side you could aim one half way down. On the opposite side aim in mid way down and towards the front of the glass. Then add flakes to your tank and watch the flow pattern.

Jlsardina said:
You'd be amazed at how much water movement you probably have. Aim one at the top of the water level for sugar breakage on one side of the tank. One the same side you could aim on half way down. On the opposite side aim in mid way down and towards the front of the glass. Then add flakes to your tank and watch the flow pattern.

Thats what i need to do boss.

That's plenty of rock for a FOWLR tank. However- it doesn't look like you have a lot of caves. The fish you want need caves to hide in. Figure on at least one or two caves per fish. As far as the little pieces, you can always just throw them in the back with the larger pieces making the visible rockwork

Dont know if i'm asking a stupid question or not but i need to ask,
Will i be able to feed freshwater shrimps to saltwater species? and if the answers is yes then will i be able to feed saltwater species my freshwater frys?
Hope someone can answer.

Back
Top Bottom