Max time infertile eggs stay amber/yellow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 angelfish that recently "paired" up. I was quite sure they were both female, until they "spawned". I know 2 females sometimes do this, but how long would eggs stay amber/yellow? The eggs were laid 2 1/2 days ago (approx 60 hours). This is the first "spawn for both fish. Only 100-150 eggs were laid. Within 24 hours, 3 were white. Within 48 hours, about 10 were white. They are not removing the white ones, but the surrounding eggs don't turn white quickly, as happens with my actual angelfish pairs' do if they aren't removed. About an hour ago, I noticed quite a few more are white, and about 10 are completely clear....as if nothing was ever in them (they resemble a bubble). There are still quite a few amber/yellow eggs, that look as if they have 2 black dots in them...,but I could be imagining that. Could these be infertile eggs after 60 hours? They seem to be turning white more rapidly as time passes, but again, she's not removing the dead ones. Also, I had melafix in the tank for a cory cat having issues. Could this have prolonged the "life" of the dead eggs? Or be killing the fertile ones (if they are)? Funny enough, I just checked....and they ARe removing the white ones now. And still fanning like crazy. I am just afraid to try to pair them off with others, if in fact they are a male/female pair. My other pairs eggs all turned white the first time for reasons other than infertility, so is there any way to know?

Back
Top Bottom