Maybe it's just a pipe dream but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would really like to own my own fish/pet store someday.

I am 20, attending college to get a teaching certificate to teach HS Biology... but I have always wanted to own my own little store. And what better than a pet store? And now that I know a lot more about fish.. I feel that I am a well rounded pet person =o)
Also, i was browsing ebay, like I always find myself doing, and I was thinking about when I build my aquarium stand (if you don't know what im talking about their are pictures in my photogallery) and what if I were to sell that on ebay.. how much would that go for? What if I custom made aquarium stands as well? I know it might not sound that realistic... but its a nice little dream =o)
And with being a teacher, I have the summer to run the store as well as the weekends.
Does anyone know the pros and cons to doing something like that? And what to expect?
I would love to spend the rest of my life doing two things I love- teaching and taking care of animals-- and to do them right =o)

Oh, btw- I don't plan to do it *now*. Im going to finish school and have money in the bank, and a steady income regardless before Id open up a store.
*goes to read article*

That is a really interesting read, thanks for the post =o)
However, I would prolly make it more than a fish store. I dunno, like I said its a pipedream!
I think I would have a happy middle of things. Butter and bread fish and maybe some exotics?
I like to think im pretty bargin savvy. However he did make some really good points that I will keep in mind.
However, this pipedream is a ways away from coming true. If I ever do it tho, I will sit down with pen and paper and make sure it is what I want to do =o)

Its my dream too....I actually plan on going to college for buisness management and workin at a local pet shop with 30 yrs of expierence to learn the trade during college

lyquidphyre said:
when I build my aquarium stand (if you don't know what im talking about their are pictures in my photogallery) and what if I were to sell that on ebay.. how much would that go for? What if I custom made aquarium stands as well?

I don't know anything about running a lfs, but I do know wood-working. I'll never make any money copying the "econo" stands at the fish stores. The mass produced stuff definitely have the price advantage.

People that do custom wood work around here build fine furnitures. There is prob a small market for fine aquraium stands out there, but I think most wood workers have to make other things as well to justify a professional shop & all the machines, etc.

I think most of us that build DIY stands (I am building one right now!) do it as a labour of love, or wood-working is our hobby. Financially, it doesn't make sense at all - I can get a half-decent pre-made one for less. But then, I will end up with a piece of fine furniture (I hope) and the satisfaction of doing it all myself.

The only thing tho, is a "nice" stand can be anywhere around like $200-$300 where as making it (so ive been told) isn't that much

Besides, the stands Ive seen that are $200 are REALLY ugly. If I can spend $100 and sell it for $300 (because its JUST that pretty/cool hehe). Its just an idea tho =o)

My boyfriend made me a stand for Christmas last year. I think it cost him around $70 for the wood and parts for the stand and another $15 for the hood parts (bulbs and such, very unique and creative, using those 5 of those 14watt PC twirly bulbs that people put in place of incandescents to save energy). It looks really good and is very sturdy. It probably would have cost me $200 to buy a similar stand from the store, so I am a huge proponent of DIY. It only took him one afternoon to put together too! :D

lucky u... my dads a doctor but a stingy one indeed. he wouldnt even pay 29$ for a 24 gallon tank off ebay with everything. plus being a doctor means he doesnt have enough time to build things. even so he has about 1 hour of building exp ;'( sometimes i wish i was like a dog or sumtin so then i wouldnt have to worry about anything :cry:

Awesome article. I really just skimmed it, but I'd also like to point out that you have to hire people, and getting good, honest, hard-working help for minimum wage (or not much more) is very difficult. I never worked in a fish store, but I worked in bookstores for over 8 years, both full and part-time, and I saw hundreds of employees come and go. Laziness and incompetence run rampant, and from time-to-time you get a thief too.

Specializing in stands and hoods, selling them over the internat, that sounds like something you could have far more control over.

I have considered getting a second job part time at a pet store but the pay is too low :( It is really too bad, I already know a lot more than all but a few people I have ever seen working in a pet store. I think they would be better of paying me instead of two kids who think 8 Angelfish is perfect for a 10g tank :p

Thanks for the article!

I think over the summer im going to try and work at Petsmart in the fish department (this petsmart is actually really nice.. i refuse to work at the petco around the corner). Its not so much to make money, i want to keep my summer busy doing something enjoyable- like dealing with animals and telling people that 8 angelfish don't go in a 10gal tank =o)

lyquidphyre said:
The only thing tho, is a "nice" stand can be anywhere around like $200-$300 where as making it (so ive been told) isn't that much

Besides, the stands Ive seen that are $200 are REALLY ugly. If I can spend $100 and sell it for $300 (because its JUST that pretty/cool hehe). Its just an idea tho =o)

An econo stand at BigAl's is around $150 (all prices canadian), to copy that stand I will need 2 sheets of MDF = $90, plus edge banding, jointer buscuits, hardware ...... best I can do is break even.

The furniture grade stand I am making takes about 60 board feet of lumber. Using rough maple (board that I have to plane smooth/ square) at $5 a board-ft, that is $300 for lumber alone! If you have to buy dressed lumber, count on doubling that price. Even using pine will set me back $180.

Granted, a furniture grade cabinet of the same size would be $600 or more, plus I will still have to reinforce that for a fish tank. So in my case I am ahead - plus I like building things.

All this is not to discourage you from trying to be a stand builder. If you have the inclination, go for it & give it a try. Just a bit of reality check, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom