Measurements for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me the formula for water changes?? I have been told to do 5%-10% weekly and to do 25% monthly. How do I measure the amount to take out from my ten gal? US parameters please!

Do whatever weekly to keep your nitrates below 40ppm, ideally below 10ppm unless the tank is heavily planted.

5-10% weekly is very light. You should look at doing about 25-30% weekly. With my ten gallon I always just did 50% weekly since I used 5 gallon buckets and it was easier to do it that way.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, if it is a 10g, then 2g will be 20%. That's actually what I do with my 10g once a week.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The amount of water you change weekly should really be based on the overall bioload.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh? I have like 3F 1M platys, and 3F 1M cherry barbs

what size tank is it ?

I don't even measure nitrates anymore.. completetly pointless IMO.. just do the water changes based on how many fish and how big and how much you feed them and the tank size..

For example.. my 10g bowfront.. I have 5 serpai tetra's 1 white cloud and 2 guppies.. I don't feed them a lot and there isn't a lot in there and its full of plants.. So I maybe change the water 70% every 2 weeks..

My discus tank.. I have 8 discus and 22 neons and 4 electric blue rams in there.. The tank doesn't have many plants, but the fish are extremely sensitive to nitrates and I feed a lot so I change 70% every 2-3 days..

My 55g and 30 and 27g I do every 1-2 weeks about 70%

I don't have time to do small often water changes.. So I just do 1 large one and call it a week or two and I haven't had a fish die in ages

what size tank is it ?

I don't even measure nitrates anymore.. completetly pointless IMO.. just do the water changes based on how many fish and how big and how much you feed them and the tank size..

For example.. my 10g bowfront.. I have 5 serpai tetra's 1 white cloud and 2 guppies.. I don't feed them a lot and there isn't a lot in there and its full of plants.. So I maybe change the water 70% every 2 weeks..

My discus tank.. I have 8 discus and 22 neons and 4 electric blue rams in there.. The tank doesn't have many plants, but the fish are extremely sensitive to nitrates and I feed a lot so I change 70% every 2-3 days..

My 55g and 30 and 27g I do every 1-2 weeks about 70%

I don't have time to do small often water changes.. So I just do 1 large one and call it a week or two and I haven't had a fish die in ages

OP said tank is 10 gallons.

OP; as far as water changes go if you have the four platys and the four cherry barbs I'd either do 2 20% water changes a week. Or 1 50% water change. Just keep the nitrates below 30-40ppm and your good.
(Your fish are not super sensitive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom