Mebbid's DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally got around to reading the WHOLE thread and decided I am going to do this. I purchased some Osmocote + yesterday and will hopefully try it, using the ice cube method, in a tank I'm setting up this weekend :), thanks again Mebbid!

Question: How much Osmocote + should I add per ice cube compartment?

I would say maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon would be a good amount. Should give you an amount comparable to a size 00 gel capsule or just a hair more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great thread, thanks Mebbid! I'm going shopping for some supplies tomorrow to give these a try.

Has anyone experienced issues with DIY root tabs under plants if you put too much? Specifically weird colorations and stems dying?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Has anyone experienced issues with DIY root tabs under plants if you put too much? Specifically weird colorations and stems dying?

Nope, ive never seen it. Could you post a pic and give some details about your tank?

Yeah, i dont want to derail this thread but i have some details in my build thread. Long story short was i put some under bylxa, a.bonsai and pogo. I went out of town, all plants were very healthy and when i got back they had disintegrated. Dont know if it was the tabs or not. But all other plants were fine.

Can't say I've seen anything. The plant roots are that thick now I'm just shoving tabs in wherever I can find room.

So I just got 100 00 capsules today, and was wondering how does everyone store the finished capsules.

In an airtight container. a silica packet wouldnt be a bad idea.

Ok thanks, for the time being I placed two paper towels under the capsuls. Get a little bit of moisture at the very least.

Ok thanks, for the time being I placed two paper towels under the capsuls. Get a little bit of moisture at the very least.

It's not a problem for most people, but some live in super humid areas so it can help. In Michigan I havent had any issues related to humidity with my tabs and I don't use the packets.

Humidity won't be bad for me until July/August...don't like the Chicago weather wait 20 minutes.

I must have crap gel capsules. I find even with silica drying aid and dry hands when making them up that they can still go sticky/deform. I try to use them within 24hrs now.

It's not a problem for most people, but some live in super humid areas so it can help. In Michigan I havent had any issues related to humidity with my tabs and I don't use the packets.

I must have crap gel capsules. I find even with silica drying aid and dry hands when making them up that they can still go sticky/deform. I try to use them within 24hrs now.

Both of you deserve some serious credit to this thread. I just finished reading every response on 28 pages. I love that I was needing to get some serious info on this subject and was dreading the post I would have to create, and all the questions I would ask. 99% of the questions were answered here, and I am very grateful for both of your contributions to this. I thank you both for that. :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Now, the 1% question that I would like to ask that I did not see. (or missed)

Should I still add some clay to my tank as well as these DIY tabs or will the tabs supply enough iron, that clay is not needed?

I have a sand substrate, and noticed some of my plants not doing as well, from when I first got them. I add Flourish weekly, and Excel daily. I just purchased the red clay that everyone uses, and was going to make some little clay spikes to add, in hopes to rejuvenate them. My jungle val is turning brown in some areas, getting holes, and turning slightly translucent in some areas. Was hoping the clay would fix this, then I found this fantastic thread. Any and all help is really appreciated!! Thanks again! :D(y)

Thanks! Im glad i could help :)

I seriously doubt iron would remedy your problem as it seems to be an all around lack of nutrients.

That being said, i dont see a reason not to use the clay so why not use both? Im not sure who or where it was, but someone added the osmocote ferts directly to clay since they couldnt get gel caps.

I wonder if the iron is a bit of a myth on how much is needed. It's a micro element after all.

I add clay to tabs to improve the substrate. Clay has a good cation exchange capacity (CEC) whereas gravel for example has stuff all. This just means elements will be adsorbed onto the clay surface and plant roots can get them off the clay surface. Otherwise the elements could be locked up in higher ph waters. Dark clays which are iron rich tend to have a better CEC. Organic matter is also very good for this.

On another topic we had geochemistry relating to mine closure over several days here. It was mentioned that river algal blooms can be treated by adding iron sulphate which then reacts with phosphate in water from ferts run off to produce iron phosphate. Which is then locked up and I guess just sinks to the bottom.

So the idea and observations that micros (iron) shouldn't be dosed with macros (phosphate) actually had someone who had done this. I think he mentioned it was ferric sulphate that was added so not sure on chelated iron or any other species. I was still trying to remember year 10 chemistry lol.

Thanks! Im glad i could help :)

I seriously doubt iron would remedy your problem as it seems to be an all around lack of nutrients.

That being said, i dont see a reason not to use the clay so why not use both? Im not sure who or where it was, but someone added the osmocote ferts directly to clay since they couldnt get gel caps.

I picked up the O+, and gel caps last night, and will be adding them later today. Since Val isn't a root feeder, I'm surprised this is happening since I'm adding Flourish. Should I do higher doses on top of these tabs? I'm just doing the 1 cap full a week.

On another note, I've noticed that my ph stays high, do to my high water hardness where I live. It is around the 7.6-8.0 realm. Even after a 50% WC, it comes right back up. Could this affect my plants? My fish are all doing well though.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom