Mebbid's DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shouldn't the ice cubes work the same as the gel caps when placed inder the substrate? They are just something to hold the fertilizer for a little bit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do ice cubes work?

Well I know they will work but wouldn't the ferts then spread through the water column as the ice melts?

Or do the ferts kind of get bound up in the mulch in the gravel or something?

The ferts release the nutrients quite slowly, even when exposed directly to moving water. It shouldn't disperse through the water column to any noticeable amount.

I had a tablet get turned up in my 55g and I decided to let it sit there rather than fix it. There were still ferts being released from it after a month.

I know I need the tabs for my wisteria, but what about anacharis???

Ok that's what i thought. Thanks again! Depending on what time i get home from Christmas shopping tomorrow i may or may not get a chance to male up some tabs

The ferts release the nutrients quite slowly, even when exposed directly to moving water. It shouldn't disperse through the water column to any noticeable amount.

I had a tablet get turned up in my 55g and I decided to let it sit there rather than fix it. There were still ferts being released from it after a month.

Hmm, definitely not getting that. I think my 'slow release' DIY ferts may be a problem. I don't dose phosphate except in the substrate tabs but am seeing a lift in phosphate after putting tabs in. Gravel is only finger deep though (or I'm only getting tabs finger deep) - maybe that is a problem as well?

Next run will put some next to the glass to watch what happens.

Well I couldn't find the ice cube trays, but I did find a jello tray. I added 3 of the frozen cubes and 1/8 tsp of Osmocote to my tank. 2 in the area of the wisteria and 1 under the elodea.

Thanks for the help Mebbid!

Hi guys, just discovered this great thread.
I saw some Oscomote plus at the store the other day and decided that I want to do DIY tabs but am I correct in thinking that the new formula is lacking some of the necessary nutrients needed? Would I be better off the Dynamite?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys, just discovered this great thread.
I saw some Oscomote plus at the store the other day and decided that I want to do DIY tabs but am I correct in thinking that the new formula is lacking some of the necessary nutrients needed? Would I be better off the Dynamite?
Thanks

Apparently, as far as I can find the only difference is that it's lacking calcium. It should be just fine to use the new osmocote +

Got my root tabs made up, thanks!

I ordered 2lb dynamite, 2lb osmocote, and some of the miracle gro + calcium stuff. So far, my dying amazon sword has sent up 10+ new leaves (most are an inch or two long already)

I've noticed more growth using them as well. Just got a bunch of API root tabs (cheap for me) and plan to put them in next weekend to compare.

My amazon sword has had some leafs double in size in 2 weeks after I added the root tabs. Love how easy and straight forward these things are!

I've noticed more growth using them as well. Just got a bunch of API root tabs (cheap for me) and plan to put them in next weekend to compare.

The only real way to compare is to have 2 plants approximately the same size in different locations. You can't really test it if you've been using the osmocote tabs. But keep in mind, I started this thread with a sword grown on API and seachem root tabs.

My amazon sword has had some leafs double in size in 2 weeks after I added the root tabs. Love how easy and straight forward these things are!

It was crazy seeing my sword get taller for the first time in months. Still amazes me as I have another sword doing the exact same thing right now :)

I made my tabs yesterday with Osmocote +, and I'm putting them in tonight. Can't wait to see my plants get bigger!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The only real way to compare is to have 2 plants approximately the same size in different locations. You can't really test it if you've been using the osmocote tabs. But keep in mind, I started this thread with a sword grown on API and seachem

True, true - going to be a tricky comparison.

I'll probably be also putting a fair few tabs in so will see if it causes the cloudy water that has been seen on occasion in other threads.

Quick question:

I'm starting a new 20 long soon (30"X12"), and I'm wondering how much osmocote to use to get the tank started.

I have some gel caps made, but I'll save those for later when I need to add more. I'm just going to sprinkle some osmocote pellets and evenly disperse them in the bottom of the empty tank before adding the substrate (flora max midnight + Eco complete).

How much osmocote should I start with for a 20 long, medium-light?

Quick question:

I'm starting a new 20 long soon (30"X12"), and I'm wondering how much osmocote to use to get the tank started.

I have some gel caps made, but I'll save those for later when I need to add more. I'm just going to sprinkle some osmocote pellets and evenly disperse them in the bottom of the empty tank before adding the substrate (flora max midnight + Eco complete).

How much osmocote should I start with for a 20 long, medium-light?

Personally, I wouldn't add osmocote to the entire tank. Instead I'd just add the gel caps where root feeding plants are being placed. That being said, I probably wouldn't use more than 2 tbsp

Wouldn't of thought very much either in a new tank. Especially while everything is small and getting established. I'd probably do a pinch sprinkled.

Back
Top Bottom