Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various tank builds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure to give them some prazi and epsom salt soaked food to clear their guts of nasties (y) I just recently had awesome success treating spironucleus in angelfish with 3% epsom salt solution soaked food, so I've added it to my new-loach-treatment as well. Congrats again on the new loaches, I can't wait to see as they grow :D

I'm toying with the idea of doing metronidazole soaked pellets for them because one of the loaches looks a little skinny. Would that be overkill?

I'm toying with the idea of doing metronidazole soaked pellets for them because one of the loaches looks a little skinny. Would that be overkill?

No that would definitely help. But there's a bunch of different things that can cause that, which is why I would do prazipro as well to cover any worms that could be causing it.

I think it's time for me to post my current stock list.

Harlequin Rasbora - 11
Angel - 1
Crossocheilus Reticulatus (Reticulated flying fox) - 1
Siamese algae Eaters - 3
Electric Blue Rams - 1 pair
3 spot gourami - 1
Botia Kubotai - 4
Albino Cory Cats - 4
Dwarf? Yellow Labidochromis - 3

I got the siamese algae eaters in hopes that the reticulated flying fox would school with them... but so far that hasn't worked. If nothign changes I will rehome them and keep trying to find some reticulated flying foxes.

I am also planning on increasing the school of corys up to 10 and then looking at another small schooling fish to compliment my harlequins.

Interesting combo with Rams and labs....

Can labs be kept in soft water? I thought they needed hard water....

Your tank looks great btw!

Interesting combo with Rams and labs....

Can labs be kept in soft water? I thought they needed hard water....

Your tank looks great btw!

Generally, you should never find these 2 fish together. The yellow labs that I have are complete oddballs when compared to standard yellow labs.

Firstly, they are approximately 1/5th the size of standard adult yellow labs and show absolutely none of the aggression that Mbuna usually have.

Second they were both bred and raised in the same water supply. With my pH floating around at 7.5 it's not exactly perfect for either fish, but it's not too far out of range to be unacceptable for either.

I believe I narrowed the list of plants that I want to order down a bit.

Foreground:
Ammania Bonsai
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis

Mid Ground:
Red Flame Echinodorus
Heteranthera Zosterfolia
Limnophila Indica
Ludwigia Grandulosa

Back Ground:
Limnophila Hippuroides
Ammania Senegalensis
Crinum Calimistratum

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on changes to that list?

Decided that I wanted to take a couple pictures of my salt water tank.

First up is my favorite fish that I have: Snowflake Blenny

aqhvYoj.jpg

Second up is a toadstool coral

v7pSStM.jpg

I do however, have some sad news. overnight both of my electric blue rams and a cory died mysteriously.

No signs of infection, parasites, or lethargy previous to my going to work but I come back and all 3 are dead.

I don't have a clue what happened. There's fresh carbon running in the tank so it shouldn't have been a contaminant even then I live alone and nothing got near the tank. The kH and pH are stable so it wasn't a spike. The ammonia and nitrite have been stable at 0ppm. My pressurized CO2 isn't running until I can find a place to refill my empty tank. So it's a mystery. I did a 50% water change just to be safe and now there's nothing left to do but wait and see how the other fish act.

I do however, have some sad news. overnight both of my electric blue rams and a cory died mysteriously.

No signs of infection, parasites, or lethargy previous to my going to work but I come back and all 3 are dead.

I don't have a clue what happened. There's fresh carbon running in the tank so it shouldn't have been a contaminant even then I live alone and nothing got near the tank. The kH and pH are stable so it wasn't a spike. The ammonia and nitrite have been stable at 0ppm. My pressurized CO2 isn't running until I can find a place to refill my empty tank. So it's a mystery. I did a 50% water change just to be safe and now there's nothing left to do but wait and see how the other fish act.

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is a beautiful Blenny.

Very sorry to hear of the deaths of your fish. Those kind of mysteries aren't the fun kind.

Anything recently added perhaps?

Sorry to hear that.

Are any of the electrical appliances broken? Maybe a live wire in the tank electrocuting the fish?

So sorry! I hope you don't lose any more. ?

Thanks! and you're right, it's been far too long since we've talked.

I'll have to keep you in mind :)

Thanks! I've always wondered the same thing myself. That driftwood is one of the reasons I love my LFS here in Lansing. They have just about everything you would ever need for aquariums all reasonably priced... Although the driftwood gets a little pricey.

Yellow labs that you can keep in a 10g tank would be freaking amazing.

I always found Preuss' to be expensive, but their selection is outstanding for sure

So sorry! I hope you don't lose any more. ?

Thank you Jessi :(

Sorry to hear that.

Are any of the electrical appliances broken? Maybe a live wire in the tank electrocuting the fish?

My appliances seem to be in good working order. The newly added heater is the only suspect I would have tbh. I'll have to look and see if I can find a voltage meter. Thanks for the tip :)

That is a beautiful Blenny.

Very sorry to hear of the deaths of your fish. Those kind of mysteries aren't the fun kind.

Anything recently added perhaps?

Thanks autumn. I've had that blenny for 2 years now. I just wish he didn't leave mouth sized bite marks all over in the algae on the tank walls :D

I always found Preuss' to be expensive, but their selection is outstanding for sure

They are expensive... however, I've never seen another LFS that quarantines new arrivals. A lot of their equipment prices are only a few dollars more than what amazon has so I've been buying my equipment there. They also reduced the prices of their coral frags which I have been barely able to keep myself from buying.

Back
Top Bottom