meegosh's 75G Geophagus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meegosh said:
I think an all male would be too difficult. I am content with swapping fish out as needed. I got a LFS that accepts trades from me so there should not be an issue there. Since all the fish will be juvies I am thinking order more than I will want to keep in the long run, let them grow out and weed out the sub dominate males. Try to get the ratios back to normal after I can sex the fish.

That or you can order fish from Dave that are already sexed. They tend to be a little more but worth it IMO.

I think an all male would be too difficult. I am content with swapping fish out as needed. I got a LFS that accepts trades from me so there should not be an issue there. Since all the fish will be juvies I am thinking order more than I will want to keep in the long run, let them grow out and weed out the sub dominate males. Try to get the ratios back to normal after I can sex the fish.

Personally, I've always had pretty good luck keeping a single subdominant male in with the mix. He provides a bit more of a target for the dominant male than the females, and provides you with a back-up in the event that something happens to the dominant male.

Okay, it has been a while since I last updated this thread. I'm afraid I've changed my mind again. After reading up on Mbuna cichlids I've decided to change my mind again. I know, I know. ;)

I'm not going to give away the "main attractions" just yet. You'll have to wait and see what I came up with. Tank will be up and running this weekend. Should have the first batch of fish in next week sometime.

I literally just paid for my order of 10 Diamond Tetras and 6 Peppered cories from severum mamma and HN1. They should be in late next week and will most likely be the first additions in the new 75g tank.

The "main attractions" will be in shortly after, maybe in two weeks the latest. I'm really looking forward to the new set up. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to keep my koi angel, and upside down catfish. Maybe even the kuhlii loaches too. I'm going to rehome the kribs and clown loach though.

I realized I haven't posted any pictures of the tank yet. I've been busy with finishing the bar off. Accept pictures of the bar for now. ;)

The day we moved in:
2V5lY.jpg

As of last weekend:
l5lyr.jpg

I have since added a piece of plywood that rests on the 2x4" that runs across the back. There is a 2' deep counter top that sits under the bar top. The tile is adhered to the plywood and the grout will be added shortly. The trim pieces are all stained and ready to be added once I'm done with the counter top. I got a couple more coats of polyurethane to do on the wainscoting also.

The tank is going to be where the yellow wire is coming down the wall. I got power ran to the bar and a junction box above where the tank will be for lights and then I will run it through the wall into the stand for the heaters/filters. The stand will be built with the same wainscoting and stain so it should look nice.

Front view without polyurethane:
aqoEh.jpg

Oh, and as much as I love the 70's carpet - it will be replaced after the Holidays.

Sounds like you're making progress. Wish I could tell you it looks good, but unfortunately your pictures aren't showing up for me (probably something with the school site blocking images again). Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you end up using as the main attraction.

They are blocked for me too at work, they are hosted on imgur.com. That is probably why. I assure you, I did make progress. LOL.

Christmas is no time to sit back and enjoy time off. It is time to work on getting the tank set up. ;)

Got my stand almost done. I need to add the top plywood and some more wainscoting for the front. After that it will be stained and poly'd.

fiQlz.jpg

Wainscoting added on the inside and sides:
VM3ZI.jpg

Right now I'm holding off on center supports and doors. I'm thinking for time's sake, I'm going to just put a curtain across the front that will match the stain.

Got the bar done too. First time laying tile so go easy. ;) I also added 4 LED puck lights under the bar top to light the counter up.

wmcBh.jpg

Close up of the tile:
DDPrs.jpg

Well I got the stand almost done last night. I just have to put the trim (already stained) on tonight and then start the polyurethane. Like I said before, I'm doing a brown curtain across the front to hide the equipment for now. I may add center supports later and put doors on. I just don't have enough time before our New Year's party.

EDFeR.jpg

Got the stand done today. Three coats of poly and she is shiny! Just need to get 100lbs of sand and I'll be ready to set it up. Probably be Monday by the time it is picture worthy.

The main attraction is being ordered next week too. :)

Just realized the pic didn't attach when I was on my mobile.

wSkCY.jpg

Buying the sand tonight and then getting things set up.

So.... I went to home depot last night to get the playsand. I got 100lbs of it and two 50lb bags of salt while I was there. Woke up this morning, after unloading everything last night in the dark, and realized I cracked my left rear spring on my car. :( Off to the mechanic today to see if its just the spring or the strut too. Sigh.

No other updates right now. I'm toying with the idea of painting the wall behind the tank before I move it into place and fill it. I'll probably just set it up and try painting it later. I'll have enough room to get behind it with a roller.

Work in progress

Tank in place:
YXllYh.jpg

Temporary lighting:
5knQKh.jpg

50lbs of sand:
p9LOzh.jpg

Almost 100lbs of sand:
ITfilh.jpg

Scape in and filling:
KpXw1h.jpg

FTS w/ plants:
Z9yPNh.jpg

I threw in a bunch of fake plants just for the time being. I got the mystery fish on order. ;) I'm planning on ordering a bunch of low light plants from severum and HN1 soon.

Current stock:
11 Diamond Tetras
2 Kribs 1m/1f
1 Clown Loach
1 Upside down catfish
3 Peppered cories
3 Kuhlii loaches
1 Koi angelfish

22 fish and I'll be adding another 6 in a week or so. I've got the magnum 350 running but I'm not too happy with it. I'm going to buy a Fluval 405 and just be done with it. Inline heater will be added later, I just needed the 30g torn down.

Today is the day the mystery inhabitants arrive. Should be delivered in an hour or so. Looking forward to seeing how they made the trip from Georgia.

Dang! Can't see the pictures or access the blog from work - guess I'll have to look from home.

Well seeing that the mystery inhabitants got an extra night stay at the post office I figured I would reveal my creatures.

I bought 6 Geophagus tapajos (orange head) from a guy on MFK. His stock is absolutely amazing:

img_1760856_0_75ebd3aaa572f05d6412a87ac333aaa0.jpg

They are coming in at 2.5-3.5". I'm excited for these guys as I've always wanted an eartheater species. I will be rehoming quite a few fish to make room for these guys. I'm thinking the final stocking will be:

6x geos (may go to 4 depending on the group)
11x diamond tetras
6x peppered cories (maybe add 6 more)
3x kuhlii loach
1x clown loach
1x upside down catfish

Kribs and the angel might be rehomed or put into the 30g if I can talk the wifey into keeping it set up. ;)

Well the fish made it today. They were all DOA. :(

I'm back to the drawing board, again. Sigh.

Last edited:
Bummer on the fish :(. Those were very coloreful looking, so was hoping to see how they looked in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom